Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Good slope for beginner in North Boulder?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Good slope for beginner in North Boulder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 05:35 PM
dbanas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good slope for beginner in North Boulder?

Can anyone recommend a good slope for a beginner in North Boulder, CO?

Thanks,
-db
Old 01-14-2003, 06:59 PM
GWebb

Default Good slope for beginner in North Boulder?

D.,
You have a very nice slope not far away. It's the NCAR weather station just south of the city. Check out www.houseofthud.com. Ian has lots of sites to fly from.

Greg
Col Springs, CO
Old 01-15-2003, 11:57 PM
CactusJackSlade

Default Lucky you!

Yes NCAR is a good place.

Just make sure you CHECK YOUR FREQUENCY before you turn on your transmitter in case someone else is flying, this is a popular area. The south, east and north east sides are flyable and it's not always EZ to tell if someone else is flying.

Check out slope boulder:

http://groups.msn.com/SlopeBoulder

to find out the latest poop. Also you can see what channel others fly on - you might want to "register" your channel with the club so they know what channel you are flying on.

Also, there are many people who can help you get flying should you have trouble!

Here is a photo of my brothers Zagi overlooking the south side of NCAR.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47615_8863.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	29304  
Old 01-17-2003, 12:15 PM
WhipperSnapper

Default north boulder

yes, NCAR is a good place to fly when the wind is right and the advice about channles by CJS is good too. also consider that if you have a fragile glider and you are a beginner i would first go to the field off of Violet road (take Broadway North, turn left on Violet by Blue Spruce Motors, then turn right at the school and loop around to the parking lot) and stand on the highest point on the field (you'll see what i mean when you get there) and just practice throwing and landing your glider. if you have a foamy, i'd still go there and throw it just to make sure it is balanced right, then go to NCAR and have at it! when the wind/thermals are right NCAR is a blast...have fun & good luck!
Botterii