Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Graupner Cirrus

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:59 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Graupner Cirrus

The Cirrus was produced in two version by Graupner. The old 70's version had a high V dihedral angle and was rudder and elevator. No aileron options. The later version that came out in the mid 80's I believe was set up for optional ailerons and I believe it had polyhedral in the rudder version.

When the original Cirrus was out there was also a Cumulus but it had wider chord wings and a slight sweepback. The original Cirrus was not really a floater but it was hardly a go fast design. Sort of in the middle.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:57 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bruce and all;
I still have an original Cirrus, the old version. In my kit, there is a seperate set of drawings, aside from the plans, that shows radio installation, as well as aileron installation mods. I believe they mention that if the ailerons are installed, the dihedral can be reduced from 6deg to 3 deg, or something like that. In 1982, I purchased a Cirrus 75, and still have it today. It's a good flier, but not as nimble as the old Cirrus. (Of course these are my impressions only...) I am pretty sure that both models have the same wing, just different fuselages and tail surfaces. Hope this helps.

John
Old 12-17-2005, 09:31 PM
a1greatdane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, not sure if this tread has come to it's end, but I like to make a contribution:
I've had 2 Cirrus in younger years... The first bout 30 years ago, built for rudder and elevator control only. The second model had the added benefit of ailerons.
The Cirrus model utelized the Clark Y 11%+ profile (easy to build - flat underside profile) and was a very good soarer and quite easy and foregiving to fly (could even do simple acrobatics), but not very fast...
The Cirrus utilized 'split' rudder whereas the Cumulus had a full moving rudder. It was possible at the time to obtain a sligtly longer resin/fibreglass body in the aftersales market, as supposed to the standard ABS.
I've had many a good time flying both models and remember them with great sentimental value.
I'm at the moment with the help of the amazing program 'Profili', designing a new set of wings incl. control surfaces for a dust collected composite 'Decade' model (also designed by humble yours) to pick up the hobby again.
Best regards and happy flying
a1greatdane[8D]
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Shenven

For those that may be interested in the subject of the Graupner Cirrus, many years ago, I think somewhere in ther late seventies, one of the english magazines produced an article on how to build a cirrus fuselage from wood. I have not had the fortune yet of having in my possession a Cirrus kit for the pleasure of building and flying, but the article mentioned that the fuse may be subject to not handling hard knocks (some people take spot landings to the extreme! [&o], I digress from the subject - I do have in my possession the plans and article for building the cirrus fuselage in wood, and it is a very elegant, well constructed, nicely shaped fuse, the way a glider should be. For those that are interested, I can send a segmented scanned copy of the article. Drop me a line at sonerai_ii at yahoo dot com dot au - Cheers, happy building and flying[8D]
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 PM
rcpecc
My Feedback: (3)

Alvin. I see that you have a fuse for the Cirrus. I know this is a late date, now 2006, but I'm looking for the original fuse. I love that plane, built in 1972 with a Blue Max radio on 27 MHz that i've also built. I've had flights of almost 2 Hrs. on good days. The original was damaged on CB interference. Since Hobby Lobby quit supplying the kit I found a fiberglass fuse made by !QUOT!Francis!QUOT! somewhere in California. The fuse had a larger cross section and was heavier then the plastic original. Flight time diminished and I used a Super Tiger .15 on the pod.
I'll be interested on that fuse if you still have it.

Thanks
Joe
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
techcrib

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6028554081&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6028554081&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1[/link]
Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Rendegade

Ladies and gentlemen, I have just lost my old graupner cirrus.

Should any one have anything (especially in australia) please, let me know.

I want my baby back.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
rawblue35

hi   i  have  2  Graupner  Cirrus   12ft  wing    with  fiberglasss   fuselage    also   wing  plans   rebuilding  wings  with  new    solarfilm   cant  wait   to   finish  
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM
rce1935

I happened on this forum and noticed your request for the manual and plans for the Graupner Cirrus. I purchased one back in the early seventies which is still in an unmade kit. The only thing missing is the canopy which destructed from being stored in a garage for many years where it got hot. I am now in my late 70's and am never going to build it out. If you have any interest in it let me know. Either copies of plans and manual or the kit.

Thanks,
rce1935
[email protected]