Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Bobcat Brushless electric conversion

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Dynaflite Bobcat Brushless electric conversion

Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynaflite Bobcat Brushless electric conversion

I have a Dynaflite bobcat sitting in my closet, and itching to build it but I don't want to use a catapult to launch it, (bad experience with catapult). The modifications I would like to do with this are, a brushless electric motor, folding prop, and LiPo battery, either 2 or 3 cells. I have found motor/gearbox/prop setups for brushed motors, but I have not seen it in brushless yet with a folding prop. Anyone have any ideas for a good combination for this bird?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Bobcat Brushless electric conversion

The folding props for the brushed motors will work just as well on the brushless. You just need to make sure you get the right size prop. Hobby Lobby sells the Graupner folding props in a wide range of sizes. You'll easily find one.

Stick with one of the outrunners that has a lower Kv rating so it can spin a larger prop.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I figured with everyone on here that I would have several comments about motor/battery/prop combinations to use for a conversion/upgrade for my glider.

Basicly, I am wanting a brushless setup so as not to wory about replacing brushes, plus brushless motors are supose to be more efficient. Lipo packs are to save weight.

Other areas I am kind of foggy on are how to ventilate the motor and battery compartment without changing the aerodynamics too much. How heavy can the battery pack be without causing it to fly like a brick?

I am planning on leaving maybe 3/16 inch gap behind the spinner to allow air to enter the nose of the glider. I am also thinking of adding a couple of 3/8 inch brass tubes behind the battery with a steep angle to draw air through the fuselage, or maybe control rod exits.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
glover1482

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.motocalc.com/ is free for the first month. But if you are serious about electric systems, you'll most likely end up bying it.

Fly safe, Glover