Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

New to sailplanes, need some advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New to sailplanes, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to sailplanes, need some advice

I picked a new never flown Graupner Chip sailplane up at a swap meet this last weekend. The wing needs covering and then the plane is done and as this is my first sailplane I have a couple of questions.

The plane has a Graupner speed 600 8.4 volt direct drive motor installed.
Is this a good motor choice for this plane?
What size ESC will I need?
Can I use my 3 cell Lipo batteries with this motor?

If I decided to change the motor to a brushless setup, what motor should I use?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New to sailplanes, need some advice

I had a Chip years ago, let me see what I can remember...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
One thing for sure, a sailplane it AIN'T!

But, I remember a wonderful, fairly fast & responsive "warm liner".

The Graupner motor was fine, nowhere NEAR the power available to 'ya now with a good brushless set-up, but it was ample for the Chip.

Also can't speak on the Lipo's or speed controller....I used a seven cell Nicad pack in mine, and a "standard" 05 size controller(think it was a Futaba..??)

But, as I said, I really loved how the Chip flew, fast and aerobatic, just do not get it too slow near the ground...it would tip-stall in a blink if you got it too slow.

Hope this helps 'ya in someway!

Pud
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
rtn9105

Thanks that helps allot. I never would've guessed it to be aerobatic but that's a plus. You said it's not a sail plane, does that mean that you have to keep the power on all the time?
I got a really good deal on it so even if it only flies once I'm not out anything.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Hey, glad it helped ya' in some way!

The comment about "Not being a sailplane ", was because it really is too fast/too heavy to be a decent sailplane. I mean, don't misunderstand, I have thermalled powered scale type ships on good days!

On a strong thermal day, you could possibly gain some altitude with it power off....it IS clean enough, just not what I would call a thermal ship.
Could probably be a cool slope plane though...

Honestly, it IS a good flying ship, and worth keeping,(I sold mine...I give in too easy when people wave $$ in front of my face!) [sm=52_52.gif]

Just give it a good heave with full throttle open, and hang on!
You will have a blast!
Pud
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like fun but doesn't sound like a good model to learn to thermal with. If that was your goal I'm guessing you'll soon be asking about a different model.

The Speed 600 was fine in it's day as a cheap motor but for larger slow flying models it really needed a gear box and larger prop to shine. I'm flying a 6 foot span old timer with a Master Airscrew 3.3:1 and a 14x8 prop with a Speed 600 at 53 oz and it's fine. But it needed that gear box to shine, no doubt about it.

I'll be replacing the motor and heavy nicad packs with brushless and Lipo's this winter and I hope to shave a good 10 oz of weight off the 17 year old bird and give her a whole new lease on life. This includes the 2 oz of tail weight I had to add.

So get your feet wet but by all means start shopping for a proper thermal flying glider if thermalling is your goal.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:13 PM
rtn9105

Since this plane only has a wing span of 64" I guess I wasn't really expecting the plane to "thermal" like a large plane, I'm just hoping to use the motor to get the plane to a nice elevation and then do a few loops and rolls while gliding down a few times before needing the battery recharged. From what Pud is saying this is more of a faster flying plane so hopefully the direct drive motor will be OK.
Can you tell me what speed control and batteries you were using? Also does anyone know the amp draw of this motor in this type of setup? Since the motor is already installed and I already have a couple of 3 cell Lipos, I'm hoping to use what I have and just pick up an ESC but if what I have isn't going to work and I'm going to have to buy batteries I may just look at a brushless setup but I'd like to know what to expect before I buy a brushed ESC.