Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Siren Motor advice...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Great Planes Siren Motor advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
trappg
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Siren Motor advice...

I have purchased a new Siren and am curious to know about motor/ESC and battery configs people are using. The owner's manual has a setup they recommend for an entry level hotliner performance - Kontronik 480 setup. Is this a good setup for performance? I've flown for about 10 years ranging from .40 size to 40% aerobats and even some predators and whiplashes. I'm very capable of handling this Siren with a hotliner setup. Does anybody have any alternative advice as to what kind of setup I can use for high performance?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 AM
VOLUNTEER

Default RE: Great Planes Siren Motor advice...

Look at the PHASORS. A friend of mine maidened his Siren last weekend with a 15/3 and liked it. I believe it's a drop in.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Another popular choice is the AXI 2826/10. Mine has this motor in it along with a Silver Series SS-45 controller and 10-cell 4/5SC NiMh pack from Greap Planes. I put Dymond D-60's in the wings and an HS-55 for the elevator (was worried about that one but it seems to have plenty of torque for this application....pulled out of some dives very hard and never had a problem). It's got great climb performance (it'll be better if/when I put a 3S2P TP2100 in it!), decent thermal capability, and impressive dive speeds, but doesn't have great speed retention (due either to the airfoil or airframe drag or both). Love the plane though, and I think you'll enjoy it too!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22628.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	557203  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:03 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent about a month trying to figure out what would work in mine. This electrics part of the model industry sucks with their morass of naming conventions. It does appear that my setup is better than required if all you want is to launch a thermal hunter and not really good if all you want is a hotliner's ballistic climbs. And from everything I've read about the Siren, darned it that isn't maybe perfect for the Siren, because it's certainly not a thermal glider and seems like most feel that it's more of a warmliner. whatever........

Multiplex BL-480/6G (3.3:1)
12x8.5 folder (Graupner I think)
Thunder Power 3cell 2100mAh LiPos
Castle Creations Phoenix 45

I'm not a hotliner. Not even close. Which makes the whole Siren deal a real laugh.... at my expense. I bought it because it was pretty close to being the only motor glider I could find that had what I consider a sensible price tag. My personal opinion is that the price of most everything in gliders nowadays is way beyond sensible. whatever........

When I realized that the motor in the nose of a glider opened back up the possibility to co-exist on power club fields, I got busy to figure out what size etc to put into one of my existing models. After a month or so of reading everything I could find, I decided to just flip a coin and buy something with a motor already in the kit. hahahahaha....... I learned the motors in the box are for almost nobody I know, is what I learned. So I went back to square one. And I posted here. And posted here again. And got some clues. And finally wound up flipping a coin. There were only a few suggested motors that I could actually find. The Multiplex was one.

What I got will climb the Siren at about 70degrees and do it with authority. I got no idea how many climbs are in the 2100mAh packs. I'm really a thermal flyer and have no desire at all to do downline aerobatics. If I want to do stunt flying, I crank up my Ultimate 40s with it's OS46AX. Or I find a slope and don't need no motor or hundreds of dollars in battery stuff. If there was even ONE glider flyer around who was doing hotline stuff, I might feel different. But in the last year, I haven't seen ONE glider flyer period, much less a hotliner.

Hey...... I'm spinning off on a rant. Guess I must be mad about something or other...... whatever..........
Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, plan to reinforce the nose of your Siren. Mine blew out twice before I seriously rebuilt the nose/design. That little plywood "coin" didn't last the first outing. On about the third landing, the spinner caught something while the sucker was sliding to a stop and the plywood popped right in. The third outing, my reinforced plywood didn't fail, the thin fuselage at the nose did. But at least the landing was obviously not a gentle one. It was about 2/3s as hard as I'd expect to be able to do my thermal airplanes day in day out in a contest, however. The landing points type landing AIN'T in the repertoire of these motor-noses. And I don't do lawndart landings for landing accuracy..... whatever........