Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tug Tow Hook Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
brettwegner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tug Tow Hook Location

G'day I was just wanting to get some kind of consensus as to where the most common tow hook location is for the Towplane. I believe it is arround 10-12mm behiend the C of G on the top of the towplane. and thoutghs would be welcome.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tug Tow Hook Location

On top of the fuse, at the trailing edge is where we put it.

Randy
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
isoar
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, right behind the wing on the top of the fusilage like Rocket said works great and is an easy install becouse the wing is not involved.

Some guys put struts from the tips of their elevators to the top tip of their vertical fin. Not for structural reasons, but to alow the line to move side to side without snaging on the fin.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious but I've noted that most RC aerotow airplanes mount the towing line somewhere as mentioned above. Why is the hook and line not mounted at the tail per full scale?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
isoar
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

Just curious but I've noted that most RC aerotow airplanes mount the towing line somewhere as mentioned above. Why is the hook and line not mounted at the tail per full scale?
That's a good question. We are afraid we might not have good control of the tug meaning the glider might pull the tail up, down, left, or right and cause us to not go where we want or crash. the glider typically gains airspeed to lift off first so might it pull the tail up and cause the tug to nose over. Also consider the RC pilot can not follow the tug exactly becouse of depth perception.

...but I don't know if this is just a fear or if pioners of RC aerotow had some bad experiances. Anyone know?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason we tow from the this position is that it is impossible to stay safely behind the tug(as in full scale) Towing from the T.E. allows the sailplane a big "fudge factor", preventing it from pulling the tail of the tow plane all over the place!

Randy