Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bird of Time - power pod

Hi all,

I am from Brazil and I got my first sailplane (the Dynaflite Bird of Time), but in my club ther is no slope for had launch and I am really thinking about to install a 0.10 glow engine in my BOD. Does anybody construct a power pod on the wing center or something similar? I will appreciate tpis about it.

Paulo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bird of Time - power pod

Hi Paulo,

In the last issue of RCSD there is an article about electrifying a BOT with two or three examples. It's worth reading it.

In my case I don't like glow for a glider so I'd consider e-power instead.

Take care.
    Ricardo,
    Chile, South America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen home made power pods used on the BOT and I have two myself,one .15 powered with the engine mounted in the nose,and another one with electric power and a folding prop.
    All three methods will work to get the model up as high as you can still see it.
    The glow versions are simpler and cheaper than electric with the nose installed glow more streamlined.You must however carry the usual fuel and starting gear and the oil gets all over the model too.
    My electric version uses ailerons flaperons and spoilerons...........my gas version uses pop up spoilers .....both are delightful to fly and of course are one of the prettiest gliders in the air,but then thats just my opinion..........
    Kevin
    MAAC 6401L,CD.
    \"The future isnt what it used to be, and whats more it never was\" ...Lee Hays

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ricardo and Kevin thanks for your response!!!
    I agree with you about the advantages of eletric power, but as I have one 0.10 glow without use, this option seems more confortable to me. Another important point that I am focused is that I want to use something removable (so I can fly the BOT in my club, using the power, and also fly BOT in slopes, whitout power). Thinking this way a pod in the center (over the wing center) seems to be the better option.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello, I'm not sure of the thrust requirements of a BOT and you did not say if it's the wood kit version (could work) or the 'ARF' one. Some time ago another guy here posted a plea wanting the plans for a power pod that was featured in RCM way back in, well along time ago. As it happend the day before I cleaned out the garage including a few old mags in a box. I glanced through them just to see if there was anything I wanted to save came across that plan but decided to throw it. after seeing his post, well I 'fished' it out from all the other garbage (inclding my newborn son's used diapers) cut it our and mailed it to him.

I do not know if the RCM plans service still around, but several years ago (05') that plan was still listed.

If it's the wood kit, it might climb slowly but I'm sure it would.

Rick K LSF 6493

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can use brushed motor with a folding prop. you can place the motor on a pod as you planned, and you can fix this with plastic screws on wing at middle. aldo if you can find a good ducxted fan you can also use that. but in general ducted fans has less thrust. you can check ARF Soarjet model glider. it has a pod on its wing. I think hobby-lobby was selling and they have a video on their site. i do not reccoemnt internal combustion engine for glider, gliders do not require such big power to move. electric motors do the trick. cheap and clean. no need for brushless motors too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or, you could use one of these...

Sig Power Pod

Clark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paulo, if you were able to build the kit I think you can easily make the power pod yourself.

Place the engine onto the plans so that the prop is located at the leading edge of the wing and give it about 3/4 to 1 inch clearance (2 to 2.5 cm). Set the engine on an angle of 4 degrees UP compared to the flat lower surface of the wing. Now draw in a 1/4 inch plywood plate for the engine mount and tank platform. Then a nice looking pylon that runs down to the wing. The pylon can be made from two outer layers of 1/16 plywood glued to 1/4 inch balsa. THis will be both lighter and more rigid than a single layer of 3/16 plywood that you'd need to use otherwise. The base can be a single curved piece of 1/16 plywood about 3 inches wide that spans acrosss the center section dihedral angle to help make it easier to make. Assuming you used the kit's rubber bands you can use those to hold the engine down as well as the wing in place. Just run them either side of the pylon. Glue it all together with epoxy and maybe add strips of fiberglass tape to the lower pylon corner to add some extra strength.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put an 0.49 glow engine on a similar glider. I made the mount myself, out of plywood. A hole in the plywood accepted the wing rod, so it was secure. I cut out an inset for the engine (thrust line slightly positive to the wing) and attached the fuel tank, a small one, to the other side of the pylon. It worked okay, then I got a winch and gave up on the power pylon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    I built the Bird of Time and have made a power pod for it. See pics. It has a OS Max 10 on it with a Hayes 2oz fuel tank and a servo for throttle control. The whole unit weighs
    13oz. The glider weighs in at 63 oz plus 13 oz for the pod for a total of 76oz. The weight make the wing loading 10.30 oz per sq ft. The pod is held on with rubber bands. Next week you can go to my youtube page and see the build and flight review including building the power pod. Search rdawson55 at you tube aftar say 7-17-2009.
    Here is the link for the webshot pics. http://rides.webshots.com/album/573406717BReylJ
    Thanks, Roy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43573.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1233410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88618.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	1233411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vb74026.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	1233412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80500.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1233413  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All
    Here is my Bird of Time youtube video, build and flight review using a gas OS Max 10 engine power pod.
    Thanks, Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tstI5l9_avo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    Here is my inflight video and flight review of the Bird of Time. Get a bird's eye view from the cockpit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YitwV4xiWQ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i like your set up i saw the video flys nice.i too plan to do this just a little more crazy .25 on a fling 2m ..might not need to throw it .the need for speed ha ha.
    what did you use to hold the tank epoxy?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    Regarding the bird of time I glued the gas tank with Clear Silicon glue and expoxed the servo on the other side,
    Thanks,
    Roy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice report and great vids. Loved the slideN'gos
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done the .049 pod and it works fine. follow the instructions allready given and look atthe sig pod for a visual reference. I like the base to fit between the wing rubber bands, A little lite ply base will do the trick just notch the ends for the rubber bands.
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks dawson, ill give that a shot .would youhave anyadvice on theangle of the engine for torq.will it pull oris it diffrent on a pod .

thanks ryan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    Just put in a couple degres of up trust. Dont worry about any right trust, Thanks, Roy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

reread BMATHEWS reply for Specs such as thrust angle.
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phps85

Hi Ricardo and Kevin thanks for your response!!!
    I agree with you about the advantages of eletric power, but as I have one 0.10 glow without use, this option seems more confortable to me. Another important point that I am focused is that I want to use something removable (so I can fly the BOT in my club, using the power, and also fly BOT in slopes, whitout power). Thinking this way a pod in the center (over the wing center) seems to be the better option.
    Phps85,

What did you finally do and how did it work out?
    Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com