Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle lady help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
mercifulme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle lady help

Hi all. I recently acquired a gentle lady glider that came with a powerpod and a cox .049 black widow. The glider was complete but alot of the covering was starting to peel off of the fusalage ,so I decided that I would recover it and proceeded to remove all of the fusalage covering.

Upon reaching the tail I found that the vertical stabilizer had previously been broken.A repair had been made but wasn't very well done so I decided to give it a proper repair before continuing. Now I think that I may have gotten ahead of myself as I have never covered or recovered a rc plane and I don't know if it is possible to recover the vertical and horizontal stabilizer without first removing them from the fusalage?

I was also just given an unbuilt sig riser kit that does not contain the wing. So would it just be easier to build the sig up and then use my wing off the gentle lady or should I continue with the original gentle lady fusalage? If I build the sig and put my wing on it how would I determine the center of gravity and is this just asking for more problems? The wing is actually in pretty good shape so I do hope that I can make something work with some guidance.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Gentle lady help

Fix the GL. Yea it's easier to cover the tailfeathers before they're on, but it's still easy to do on. Try the ULtracoat lite, it's really easy to use.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
kwmtrubrit

Is the Riser the 2M or the 100" wing? If it's the 100", I can probably get my plans copied (the wing ribs are shown in outline). Then again, if it is the 100", you have the ribs on the plan in the kit. I don't know about the GL wing working on the 2M Riser though.

Keith
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GL wing on the Riser fuselage will work fine.
The c.g. for a plane with a GL wing is 3-5/8" back.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM
mercifulme

Its a 2m sig riser fusalage. I think that I will make my best attempt at recovering the gentle lady and also build the sig and cover it before the tailfeathers are on. I need the building practice anyway and I can see which one turns out better. Maybe I'll be looking for another wing?

I also noticed that the horizontal stabilizer on the gentle lady has a twist in it. I'm not just sure how to fix that but hopefully all of your combined expertise can help me there as well. I guess the next time I do a trade I'll be a little more careful when I inspect it. Live and learn .

Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

merci,

Like a couple of others have said, repail the GL. It's not hard to cover the tail pieces in place.

One thing I'd look for if you're recovering the wing is that the GL instructions call for you to "shrink in" 1/4 inch of washout in the tips. Chack your wing when you have it stripped to see if you'll need to do this again when you re-cover it. You can use covering shrinkage to get that twist out of the stab as well.

papermache
Old 01-13-2007, 12:21 AM
mercifulme

Thanks for the info. The GL it is!

Just picked up a book on recovering so I can do it right the first time.

Merciful
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 AM
mercifulme

[sm=thumbs_down.gif]As it turns out it looks like canada post lost the sig fusalage.

I do believe I heard something about postal rates going up today?[>:]

Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
mercifulme

Guess what just showed up? [sm=what_smile.gif] My sig fusalage!

Its hard to believe it takes canada post 16 days to deliver a package less than 1000 kms within the same province!

I think I will build this and use it because the gentle lady fuselage just has too many issues.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't complain, I've been waiting on a very small package coming in from Oregon and it's coming up on 6 weeks now. Two other packages too 5 weeks. I think they send it to a Customs depot in Khazakstan for processing and rely on the tides to return it to Canada.

I just scanned quick so sorry if someone already answered this stuff.

The warps or bows can be removed from the framework with hot steam from a kettle. Just get it warm and hot and hold the twist or bending out of it with just a little extra. Hold it for a couple of minutes until it cools and then release and check. Repeat as required until it stays straight. Let dry overnight and double check. Re-steam and bend some more if required but usually you don't need the second day attention.

For covering with iron on plastics you need a small edge of wood to stick the material to. If the stab is glued on such that there isn't a 1/4 inch wide section to work with then as part of your repairs I'd inlay pieces to form this shelf for covering reasons. Don't rely on sticking it to the fuselage and turning a 90 degree inside corner, It'll pull away. Now bending around a 90 OUTSIDE corner is fine since the tension in the covering will hold the glue line in shear rather than tension.

Best of luck with your Lady. THey are a great light air model for relaxing flying and a great trainer. But they don't like heavy or even moderately heavy winds at all. PIck and choose your times to fly with a conservative sense of judgement until you get the knack of it and learn what works and what doesn't.