Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New to Gliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 AM
lulubelle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Gliders

Hi! I have been flying scale electrics, for a while, but Electric Sailplanes have always interested me. A few weeks ago, i got an E-flight ascent glider used and cheap from a friend. It was a blast to fly, especially with the Mega motor in it.

Unfortunatly, my friend crashed it today. So i guess that is just an excuse to upgrade!

I am looking for an electric glider that meet the following req

-Under$150, more or less
-Full 4 controlls, A,E,R,T
- Not foam

If anyone can recomend something i would really appreciate it. THanks

Zach
Old 01-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Sneasle

Default RE: New to Gliders

I would recommend a Spirit or the H9 Aspire. The Spirit series is one of the most popular planes ever made.

I am not sure why you want full house on a glider, most don't need it. Might want to consider an RES system. Those are fairly popular.

There is also the spectra which is an electric glider arf.

I think the Aspire comes as an electric arf. There is also the Vista/Vesta or something like that which is basically an electric version of a Spirit.

If you want something ready to go outside of the box, then one of those two should work. If you don't mind a little bit of work, you could buy a Spirit, Aspire, heck, get a Bird of Time (beautiful plane!) and put a power system in it. I would recommend the kit forms of all of these planes as they are cheaper and easier to modify to your liking.

You could probably use the power system out of the old glider that crashed without much difficulty.

If you don't mind the possible lack of ailerons, most of the Arf versions of these gliders are fairly easy to electrify, but I do not recommend the BOT arf.

Best wishes.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM
daveosoar

Or stay simple and get a Multiplex Easy Glider electic for d**n near zero bucks.
Dave.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:12 PM
lulubelle

ya. i have always thought about the easy glider as a choice, but i really think i want a balsa plane.

I did some research, and i found a glider called the Golden Orial. Does anyone know anything about this? http://www.greenmodel.com/2000/engli...ldenoriole.htm

zach
Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
nickj

I'm building a GP Spectra with a Spirit (alieron) wing. You can't do much with just three channels.

The Oriole looks a lot like a Spirit/Spectra, only a little smaller. 52 oz. seems heavy, you might want to consider LiPos.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM
lulubelle

52 oz is alot, but that is with a 555 brushed motor and and nicad battery. I would be using brushless and lipos so that should lighten the weight,
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Liberator

Actually thats a TON. You need to start thinking like a glider pilot.
Wing loading is king, it does not matter what the motor can pull, it matters that it will fly like a lead sled and not be much fun. To put it in perspective, my Dragonfly Strong weighs in at 65 oz with 137" wingspan.
Notice how wing loading is not discussed by the manufacturer?

Find something that fits your budget that stays under 10 oz sq ft, you will be a lot happier.

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=259

Here is a link that I realize is way out of realm of what you want to spend, but look at the planes and notice the wing loading.

Tom
Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM
lulubelle

Hey guys. i found this glider over at carl goldenberg models. Tell me what you think. Now that i think about it, i really don't understand the whole concept of wing loading. I'm sure that would help on my glider search. I understand now, liberator, that it isn't all about the motor anymore, like it is in my scales. Its about weight and wing loading...and i don't exactly understand the whole theory. A little help please?

And thanks for all the help guys!!

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/12082.htm

zach

Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

They fly nice. If you PM "slopeflier33" here on RCU he flies one all the time. His was flying in a light thermal last weekend when nothing else could stay up.

Wing loading is a way of expressing the "footprint" of the aircraft. You take the wing area in square inches, and divide it by 144 to get the amount of square feet. The divide the weight in ounces by the square feet. A 4 ounce wing loading would be a competition hand-launch glider. A 12 ounce wing loading would be an average slope racer. A 17 ounce wing loading would be a large scale sailplane or the start of a "sled" type sloper (you can tell my influnce is slope sailplanes).

The heavier the wing loading, the faster a plane flies and stalls. You pay for light wing loading, however, when the wind starts blowing and the plane can barely make any headway. Many sailplanes have a provision for ballast, where lead weights are bolted on the airplanes center of gravity (usually right under the wing) which raises the speed range the plane flies in. Electrics usually are a bit heavier than the sailplane equivalent, though these days the difference is slight due to the lighter batteries that are available.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Liberator

Slopemeno tells it true.
As he put it weight isnt always a bad thing, but you have to have control of it. Ballasting a plane that starts life under 10oz square foot is way different then having a heavy sailplane.
I just would hate to see you get into something that is not much fun to fly because the weight is too high for the wing.
The type of plane your looking at will be a faster type just be aware of that. A thermal type plane is a different animal, but it's all about what you want to do. If you want to scream around and do rolls and such, its all good, the planes your looking at will do that better. If you want to just poke around and look for thermals, then you go a different route.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=ACL

Some of these arf's are so inexpensive that you could get a floater and a screamer for your $150.00. Probably the way to go.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Tom
Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
lulubelle

Hey i really appreciate all of the help that you guys are giving me! I am going to try and go through the wing loading equation here.

I take the area in in sq (382) and divide it by 144. Then i divide this number by the weight of the airplane in oz.

382/144=2.6 24/2.6=9.2

So 9.2 is beetween the hand glider and a fast slope soarer. What that mean? Is this wing loading good for going to the field and taking her up, gliding down, maybe some thermals? what is possible to do with the wing loading of 9? And i hope i did the math right.

thanks for the help!

Zach
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
lulubelle

slopemeno-i can't seem to get into touch with slopeflier 33-he dosn't accept pm's or something
Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 PM
slopemeno

try [email protected]. His name is Bruce.

You might want to come out and fly with us sometime. We fly in Marin on Hwy1 by Muir Beach.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 AM
lulubelle

It would be realy cool to go fly with you guys. Looks like we both live in the bay area! How did my math with the wing loading go??

thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Conman
My Feedback: (1)

spirit elite. about $120, has a lot of cool features such as 4 servo wing and wood/glass construction, and flies well. i have one of these and have seen them in action several times. the flpas and crow mixing lets you drop it on a dime and the reflex function lets it cheat the wind and fly any direction you want it to. there are definitely way more higher tech gliders out there but this one has great bang for the buck
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 AM
slopemeno

Your math was right on. If the plane is fairy clean you could fly flat-field electric with it (based on your average speed-400 8 cell battery) OR you could fly it at the slope in light to medium lift.

My suggestion is the Goldberg Endurance 400 and some instruction to keep you out of trouble, OR the Muliplex Easy Glider electric version. The Endurance flies really well in light lift, and if you pile it in its cheap to replace. After you order from Tower you'll get a bunch of $20.00 off-if-you-spend-a-hundred coupons, so replacement isnt too traumatic.

Remember you'll need a radio, charger, mini-servos, etc, so its just not the plane. Thats the reason I tend to fly sailplanes...Im incredibly *cheap*.

Some other places people are flying that are a bit closer to you: Rancho San Antonio Park, the Marsh Rd landfill, Coyote Hills, and Sierra Point in the Brisbane/SSF area.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Renny - More than you wanted to spend, but well worth it!
Renny 2M E II - NE Sailplanes - $249 ARF
This plane has a strong following on RC Groups and an extensive build
thread.
I want one!
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1273
Build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477966
video
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=408
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
lulubelle

aeajr-wow that thing looks SWEET! i don't know if i can put out all that money just for the airframe right now.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
lulubelle

Now that i think about it, both of the planes, endurance and renny are similar, except for maybe some quality issues. The only think i dont like about the endurance is that the wing is not sercured to the fues, it seems like it is just a force fit.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 AM
lulubelle

Hey guys. I was over looking at the things over at nsp. The Omega II series looks sweet. What do you guys think? http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5061
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 AM
aeajr

We have several Omegas at out field. The guys like 'em. I think they are the original Omega though.

I believe they cut the root to add some dihedral to the wings. They were finding the plane a big difficult to manage in thermals.

Not sure of this. But I am sure they like them.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
slopemeno

Some locals here have a number of the Omega series planes, and they like them. Great value for the money.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
lulubelle

Hey guys. I found somehting new. Its the green sleeve glider by a1 rc what do you think?

http://www.greenmodelusa.com/Green-Sleeves.html
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 AM
aeajr

Looks nice. Price looks good, especially if it includes the ESC. His accesory pack price is good too, though I would probably not want to use standard servos, in order to save weight.

He does not give an all up weight which concerns me. I would at least want to know the weight witout battery.

I don't know the plane so I can't comment on how it flies.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
lulubelle

Hey thanks for the help every one. i think that i finally found the right glider for me, and the price is fantastic. Its almost a steal. heres a link.

http://nitroplanes.com/mo16arfrarec.

I have a mega 15/15/7, canned inrunner motor. I also have a himax outrunner that is a 150 w. Will one of these work???

thanks

zach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.