RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Piggyback glider launch

Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Piggyback glider launch

Anyone have any details of piggyback glidder lauching, both the tug and glidder pilots are experenced with towing, but thought we would pick your collective brains re set up for piggyback.

Mike
Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM
ChixwithTrix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Piggyback glider launch

My bf had a system that his father built onto a 1.20 sized plane. The mount was made to have the glider's wings sit in a wooden holder with rubber bands starting from the leading edge on a hook and being attatched to something on the trailing edge (a peg or something attatched to a servo) that would release the rubber band and the glider would pop up. They had different adjustment holes to tilt the glider more towards the ground becasue it always wanted to lift off having more lift than the twplane.

They had a lot of trouble with the piggyback cancelling out the horizontal and vert stabs so they had to make a tail (I don't know what it is called) where it had two rudders on the outside and the elevator in the middle. like this: |---|

That seemed to help out a lot with the flyability of the towplane. Sorry it is somewhat vague, as I only saw it a few times.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
jerry dotson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a Sig Kadet with a 25cc Homelite and a home made cradle I fastened on top of the wing with a servo that operated pins to pull out of rubber bands to release the glider. The glider was a Spirit. The rig worked perfectly. I also towed the Spirit with the same airplane. The piggyback worked much better than towing Ihad zero problems with piggyback. The only problem was having a pilot when I wanted to fly as I fly at home.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Anyone have any details of piggyback glidder lauching, both the tug and glidder pilots are experenced with towing, but thought we would pick your collective brains re set up for piggyback.

Mike
We did it with a Kadet Sr with a 4 stroke engine and a 2m Spirit Elite. Power wise the plane barely knew the glider was up there. We had to tinker with the incidence to make sure the glider wing was lever or it would want to yank the tow plane into the air before it had flying speed. Keep it slow and steady, give slightly nose down and release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53586.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	631028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48102.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	631029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64452.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	631030  
Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
HankTurner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used a similar design to BarracudaHockey's, using a 1/4 scale Cub. My only suggestion would be to have a lot of surface area on the cradle where it touches the glider. This helps prevent damage to the glider's wings, as they have a tendancy to move around slightly during tow.

Search this Thread