Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

MINI VENTUS SAILPLANE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
soar66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINI VENTUS SAILPLANE

HI. IRECENTLY STARTED FLYING AGAIN AFTER 10 YRS.THINGS SURE HAVE CHANGED.I JUST BOUGHT A 2.6 MINI VENTUS SAILPLANE AND NEED A BRUSHLESS MOTOR SYSTEM PREFERRABLY DIRECT DRIVE . I DONT UNDERSTAND THE SIZES POWER SUPPLY ETC. THE MOTOR MUST MOUNT INSIDE .THE PLANE IS 4 LBS.EMPTY. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN OR REFER ME TO HELP. THANKS
Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MINI VENTUS SAILPLANE

Call Hobby Lobby International
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: MINI VENTUS SAILPLANE

www.hobby-lobby.com is an excellent source for advice.

here are some rough paramaters to consider:

All up weight is your first number - if it is 4 pounds empty, let's assume it is 5 pounds all up ready to fly.

You want somewhere between 50 watts and 100 watts per pound of power of all up weight.

A brushless motor of about 300 watts ( 50 watts per pound X 6 pounds) will fly the plane and take you up to soaring height at about 30 degrees. A comfortable climb but not steep.

At 100 watts per pound or 600 watts, the plane will climb up to soaring height at about 80 degrees and you will go out of sight in less than 30 seconds.

This is your starting point.

you want an out runner, of an inrunner with a gear box that will spin at least 12" prop and 14+ would be better. A wider prop is more efficent than a narrown one. You want to prop more for thrust than speed. Unless the plane is intended as a hotliner, you will waste a lot of power trying to make it go fast. Better for a strong solid climb.

When you speak to hobby lobby, or if you go looking on your own, keep these things in mind.