Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Engine for Sagitta 900?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine for Sagitta 900?

Just to be different, I would like to use an OS15 to pull my forthcoming Sagitta 900 to altitude instead of electric power or a winch. I have no experience with putting a glow engine onto a glider this size and am wondering if the 15 will have enough power to realistically get the Sagitta up without drama? I figure to run a 2oz tank which will give a run time around 8 minutes at full throttle. Should be lots to get it way up there, if there is enough thrust to keep it flying.

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Sagitta 900?

It would take it up just fine. I'd run a 2 oz tank but not for the whole time. You'll find that it's up to speck out altitude in at most 2 minutes to 3 minutes and you'll want to cut the engine. So set up a fuel cutoff or set the throttle to allow you to cut it off completely.

But MAN! The oil residue that'll get all over....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

It would take it up just fine. I'd run a 2 oz tank but not for the whole time. You'll find that it's up to speck out altitude in at most 2 minutes to 3 minutes and you'll want to cut the engine. So set up a fuel cutoff or set the throttle to allow you to cut it off completely.

But MAN! The oil residue that'll get all over....
Hey Bruce,

I was thinking I could set the throttle on a 3 position switch and have full, idle and kill. That would leave the throttle stick available for the spoilers. Or rig the spoilers on the 3 position and use throttle for throttle...

Yeah, the oil is a nuisance. But I am not excited about the expense of setting up electric - new motor, battery packs, charger, ESC, etc. I have all the other gear, just need to build the airframe. And I like the sound of IC... I have heard a bit about the new 123 cells and they sound promising and may convince me to bite the bullet and go electric in the end.

Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ACK! A motor on that georgous sailplane??
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
cosmicpossum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Agreed! What a waste!

If you MUST, why not build a power pod for it?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: cosmicpossum

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Agreed! What a waste!

If you MUST, why not build a power pod for it?
I may do that, haven't decided. I may bite the bullet and go electric, with the motor in the nose and a folding prop. No hurry, so I have lots of time to work it out... And I MUST, because I have no access to a winch or field big enough to hi start it. Powered is way easier for me to manage.

Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
mmattockx

What would be a reasonable power system for a converted Sagitta, since there seems to be a lot of complaining about the OS15 option?

Say a budget version, with a fairly cheap motor and NiMH pack and a Cadillac version with brushless and LiPo pack?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
cosmicpossum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that, I'd call hobby lobby direct. They have the right programs to tell the minimums and maximums on all up weight so you can get the correct motor/battery setup.