Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquila Grande?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aquila Grande?

I was given a Airtronics "Aquila Grande" sailplane kit still NIB. Anyone out there have any building or flying experience with this particular model?
    Think it will out perform my Gentle Lady?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aquila Grande?

Just slightly! It is a great airplane for thermaling. It will out thermal a lot of planes in light lift. There is one mod you should make if you build it. Put 1/16 in balsa on the bottom from the leading edge to the center of the spar on the bottom. Sand the angle on the back of it to the spar so the wing has a touch of undercamber. This will make it not dance if you build up speed. If you decide not to build it, let me know, I would be interested in buying it.
    Fly it till the wings come off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is Aquila Grande for sale

If for sale e-mail me Dewey12@cox.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Aquila Grande?

I've got a "Grande"! I'm quite proud of it........quite a story behind it. I'm not for sure whether it's for sale, but I'd love to chat about it. Any questions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The modification you are talking about is called the Skip Miller mod. Skip Miller applied this mod the night before he won the nats with his aquila. He was having problems with wing flutter. Along with the sheeting he also put a Phillis entry on the leading edge.
    The older I get... The better I was...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kamakasi

The modification you are talking about is called the Skip Miller mod. Skip Miller applied this mod the night before he won the nats with his aquila. He was having problems with wing flutter. Along with the sheeting he also put a Phillis entry on the leading edge.
    kamakasi -

What is a "Phillis entry"? (Please - no jokes about an aging female comedian )

Cheers!

Jim
    Have you flogged your crew today?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, that's "Phillips" entry....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an Aquila Grande kit and the "Miller Modification" was already incorporated on the wing parts. I did buy the short kit and FG fuse from DC Hobbies. I have not built it yet.

Ed Jett

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As already stated that's "phillip's" call it dumb thumbs typo
    The older I get... The better I was...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,everyone!
    I just suscribed to this forums as IΒ΄m trying to get some help.
    I used to do some RC building and very little flying (I used to spend more time at the shop trying to repair the crashes than flying) when I was young. At that time in Argentina.
    I live in Costa Rica now and every single time I see the vultures thermaling they make me think about my old Aquila grande.
    Last time in Arg. I picked up the old pieces and IΒ΄m decided to resuscitate it, but I found out that IΒ΄m missing the building plans.
    I got hold of a set of wings plans from an old Aquila but it seems like the ribs profile is slightly different.
    I would like to know if there is any way to get a copy of the original Airtronics ones.
    I e'mailed the guy from DC hobbies but it seems he going out of business, so IΒ΄m not sure he will reply.
    If anyone has any ideas to help me thatΒ΄ll be great.
    Thanks for taking your time reading this and may be next time I write is for telling IΒ΄m back on the air.

Fer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ace,

The Aquila Grande is a great sailplane. Owner of Dream Catcher Hobby Roy Simpson says the Aquila Grande is his all time favorite sailplane to fly.

Cloudbound, Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would there be any chance of getting a copy of the tip panel ribs,as they are not shown on the plan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3810:

I could trace the outlines from the ribset I have if that would help you any.

EJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be great,I will PM you my address

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim,

A "Phillips" entry has to do with the way the bottom LE sheeting attaches to the LE to form a slightly rounded air foil right at the last portion of the LE sheeting. Many airfoils use flat ribs on the bottom all the way from the TE to the LE. The Bird of Time is a good example of incorporating the "Phillips" entry system. You glue the rib flat to the LE sheeting except for the last 1/2" at the LE. You then use a scrap piece of balsa wedge to lift the LE sheeting to the slightly rounded nose of the rib and glue the last 3/8" to 1/2" of sheeting to it.

I've explained what it is. Now can anyone explain its benefets?
    ED -- AMA 20464 -- A plane is 1000+ different parts all flying in very close formation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The main benefit of a Philips entry is that it increases the speed range of the airfoil, by reducing drag at higher speeds. It also reduces the camber by a little as well. But, the main 'benefit' is a higher speed or better penetration than compared to an airfoil without Phillips entry. It probably affects the stall characteristics as well, but I can't speak to that. I don't design them, I just build and fly them.

The Skip Miller modification to the original Aquila airfoil was accomplished by gluing a 1/16" sheet of balsa to the bottom of the wing from the leading edge to the rear of the spar and sanding a slight Phillips entry into the front edge of the sheet at the leading edge. This improved the speed range of the airfoil even though it also made it thicker. Another side benefit of this modification that is not discussed anywhere that I can find is that it increased the wing strength by completing the "D" tube.

This is all incorporated in the Aquila Grande. It would be easy and a good idea to incorporate some wing strengthening updates to the spar, but the airfoil modification is already incorporated.

EJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IΒ΄m sorry to insist guys, but if anybody has (or can make a copy) of the construction manual and plans from an Aquila Grande IΒ΄m willing to pay for the expenses that this would represent.
    IΒ΄d love to put mine to fly again after almost 20 years.
    Thanks,
    Fer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all, I'm looking for the wing and tail feathers plans for the Aquila. I would be happy with the root and tip rib profile and the same for the tail feathers. DC Hobbies is selling the business or I would contact them.
    Thanks,
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vernon:

You can get a complete plan set for the Aquila from RC Modeler Magazine. That plan set should have all the rib profiles on it unlike the set in the kit.

It is plan 596 and the price is $15.50.

EJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you very much Ed.
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

I am new to this forum and need some help. I bough the Aquila 99" plan recently from RCM online. There is references to "Airtronics" for some parts (canopy, etc). Apprently this store has been closed down and also some others I found links for, selling this plane.

Can anyone tell me please where I can find specifically the canopy for this plane? Is there someone that can make them for me if I send the dims?

Thank you and happy flying.
    Bert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Isthmus models (Mark Miller) has a generic canopy that looks identical to the Aquila/Aquila Grande/Grand Espirit canopy.

I am pretty sure it would work.

EJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Bert,
    Both Dream Catcher Hobbies and Airtronics no longer support this sail plane. Airtronics closed down the kit business many years ago. My last contact with DC Hobbies was about two months ago and he said the business was in the process of being sold. So, the new owner might be supporting the Aquila and Aquila Grande again.
    Your best bet right now is Isthmus Models in Madison, Wisconsin.
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The miller mod also stops the airplane from dancing at high speeds when the spoilers are used. In contests, if you are diving for the landing line with the spoilers up, the plane would waggle left and right. It wasn't a big deal, but was kind of a pain at times. The mod stopped that waggle and made the plane handle better at higher speeds.
    Fly it till the wings come off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No doubt that the Aquila Grande was a great sailplane. For anyone who has not had the experience and would like to have it, or someone who wants to have it AGAIN, I have a NIB Airtronics kit which I would sell for $250 plus shipping.

Thanks,
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast