Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

First Scale Glider??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM
rikm12345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Scale Glider??

Hi,

Im new to this forum and would appreciate some pointers in the right direction to buying a first scale model.
I started off flying when i was younger flying i.c models & some basic helicopters. I had a Kyosho concept which i managed to mangle.lol!
I have flown a rookie glider years ago and then a mardave marauder glider. I loved slope soaring with them!
They were both only 2 channel gliders.

I have recently bought a Spirit Elite Glider which think is a great glider and love using the 3 channels now.

I think i am quite a good flyer and have some experience & good understanding of building & flying.

I am thinking of purchasing a Scale glider.

Can i ask, are they that much harder to fly?? as they actually look more graceful in flight & much smoother.
The larger wingspans make them look more stable in flight than some slopers.

I actually like slow gliding, so one that is graceful would be ideal as i would only be doing basic flights with them.

I have browsed a few Great!! websites that have good scale models and would appreciate if someone could tell me which one to go for and from what website if possible. Thanks!!
Here is a list of the models i am looking at.

http://www.icare-rc.com/scale_glider_under4m.htm

http://www.globalrcmodels.com/sailplanes_rc_scale.htm

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/radio_contr..._scale_gl.html

http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/pages/scale.asp

I love the look of some of these gliders!!

Thanks!!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: First Scale Glider??

The Spirit is a really good allround glider. But you might get better performance from it if you measure and set all the angles more optimal. I think it have half a degree too much positive decalage on the main wing. And small changes og CG will give you better response. Just if you like optimizing

Scale gliders are always nice on the slope. Since you want grace and slow flying just stay away from Fox and Saltoes because they often are really tricky to handle. Also the Pilatus might be too nervous for what you want.

Icare have a lot of really well built planes. I know they sell LET-models among other high-end models. But the 2.6 meter Nimbus 4 is one I would not recommend because the wings are weak and the plane is extremely nervous on the pitch (elevator) and need some speed to respond well on the ailerons. Mine is seldom flown because of this...

One thing I prefer when I buy scaleplanes is a fully finished canopy because this job is a mess to get nice on your own.

One scale-glider which there are 4-5 of in my club is the ASW27, 2,6 meter, Tangent/Multiplex. Although it is rather small it looks like a 4-meter glider in the air! Maybe the best value-for-money plane I have seen and owned. But the canopy has to be finished by the builder... From that I think an ASW/DG/Discus in a size which suits you and your slope (landing) well might be a good choice. These gliders usually fly smooth and give no surprices. But because of the performance a good landingarea is a must. Also remember the long wings might generate large forces on the fuselage on landing. Always glue a piece of round wood inside the fuse just between the leading edges to awoid squeesing the fuse...

You should buy a plane which you really like! I love ASW`s and DG, others prefer Minimoa or Discus. Have ordered a Krick kit of the SG-38 (very oldtimer) and love my 60"-sloperacers and have a 6-meter DG600 for aerotowing. This is the problem; there are so much to choose from so it is hard to decide.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 AM
TFLG

For a first scale glider the HF models DG-1000 is a great plane. It's easy to build and it's a super flyer. They are not hard to fly but scale planes do fly quite a bit differently from a Spirit. They are much harder to launch unless you are chucking them off a slope.

TFLG
Old 04-16-2007, 02:39 AM
rikm12345

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!
I like the look of the ASW 27 & 28 & the DG 1000. I'll probably start off with a 2.6 metre model for the slope & will probably try and get a fairly cheap one to start with untill i've gained enough experience flying scale models.

I agree about the Fox gliders, they even look like they will fly fast!

I found 2 really cheap model here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=21088
&
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=21272

Do you think i should buy one like that to start of with, then in time buy a more expensive, good quality model?

Theres so many to choose from

Cheers!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 AM
TFLG

I have both those kits and the Discus is by far the better of the two. They are nice looking kits but the quality is not great and they do have a few issues that you really should fix. The primary one being that the wing tubes and the wing rod is not strong enough. Using the stock wing rod the wings flap like a bird in flight. Replacing the wing rod with a 6mm steel rod helps a lot as does adding a few degrees of dihedral to the steel wing rod. The fuses are a little on the fragile side and the paint will crack and fall off at the slightest provocation. My DG-1000 had a multitude of problems, so many in fact that I actually though about chucking it in the bin. Both wings were twisted, one was bowed. The covering had hundreds of bubbles in it and the fuse was twisted. The Discus was much better. Both planes fly decent enough once the wing rod is replaced.

TFLG
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Redline7000
My Feedback: (2)

I just went through the same decison process your going through in selecting a scale glider. A Czech friend who flies F3F suggested sailplanes over 3M, the smaller ones tend to tipstall easier he said. I then spoke with Etienne at Icare and he suggested an ASW28-18. Since I don't have access to a good slope, a winch, or aerotow I opted for the electric version. He also suggested an Axi 2820 to get it to soaring heights.
Aero-Fever.com has a nice 2.6M DG1000 for $132.50 which you could also look at.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 PM
allanart

Hi rikm

The best place for lots of info about scale soaring in the UK is www.scalesoaring.co.uk, you will meet up with all the uk based scale community and get all the help you need. I would suggest one of the TANGENT Contest Line models; the ASW-27B (2.7m) or the new ASG-29 (3m) are both really nice to fly and look great on the slope, but a little too small for aerotow in my opinion. The ASH-26 (4m) makes an ideal entry level scale glider suitable for both slope and aerotow. I have to admit however that I am somewhat biased towards TANGENT, but take a look anyway! See [link]http://www.tangent-modelltechnik.de[/link]. All the models are redily available in the UK, but if you have any dificulty, or need advice with any of them please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards
Allan
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 AM
rikm12345

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys, great info and link!!!

I think im definetely going to go for an ASW 27 or 28.

Which comany would you recommend going for for best quality etc..

LET or Tangent

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:44 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rikem,

Check out Tom Martin's site at TMRCsailplanes.com He has some really nice scale models, mostly in short kit form (you supply stick and sheet wood) His laser cutting is second to none and they fly beautifully. He's also a great guy to deal with.

papermache
Old 04-21-2007, 07:33 AM
jooNorway

Best quality: both LET and Tangent

Tangent vere sold as Multiplex for decades, and I am very pleased with all my MPX/Tangent planes. Have never been disappointed. Tangent have improved their models even more the last years, and have got more ARF`s. My next sailplane will be a Tangent Vortex, since I have more than enough scale-planes.

LET are delivered more completed, complete scale-cockpits, aerotows and retracts mounted, servocables installed including connectors between wing/fuselage and so on. Their finish is second to none! And they cost more... They also offer different options. My LET DG600 were ordered with servomounts in the wing for MPX-servoes, and a friend of mine who bought the Ventus ordered his prepared for Volz servoes. None of us ordered the extra water-ballast-system

I do not fully agree in that the Tangent ASW27B isn`t suited for aerotowing. Our ASW`s are towed a lot, but is not the best thermal-hunter. On the slope it suits best I think.

Another brand is Reichard. These are relatively cheap planes with a really good finish! I have their Alsema Sagitta on my building-table right now, and their DG300Acro still in the box. The DG have a HQ-profile, and I expect this bird to be a pleasure on the slope, and also for aerotowing! The Alsema have the old Eppler E-211 which should give a forgiving nice sloper. The Alsema is also rarely seen. It is 5 fullsize Alsemaes airworthy left in the world today...
An other beauty is their Lunak. Take a look at the website!
Reichard are sold by different shops worldwide.

Their website: http://www.reichard.cz/en/index.html

As papermache said; Tom Martin make some exciting kits. In fact I have ordered his Slingsby Tutor myself, and two of my friends are building the Hall Cherokee. All from shortkits. Might be interesting for winter-project in the future.