Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Aileron hinges

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Gibsonia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron hinges

Hi all:

Just purchased an ArtHobby Hybrid DL (my third glider from ArtHobby: already have a Hyper DL and a Thermic 2.5, both excellent fliers), and will be using full-span flaperons. Here's my question: I've always hinged my ailerons on BOTH sides (the top of the wing-aileron, and in the "notch" underside). Is it possible to get away with just using ONE length of tape along the top of the wing-aileron and not worry about getting another piece in the notch? I've heard two different sides to this one, and am just looking for advice...

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Aileron hinges

Sure, just one layer of tape will do fine. I use Scotch #190 tape available at Ace Hardware, Orchard, etc. Since youre doing a DLG, if you really want to go crazy you could cut the tape in half width-wise to save some weight.

You miught want to Google "silicone hinges" just for the heck of it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Gibsonia

Thanks, Slope, for the advice. I did in fact Google silicon hinges, and I'm very interested in giving it a try. Seems to be a bit of discussion about what kind of silicon and what kind of masking tape to use for a good result... any advice there? Have you done this before? Any assistance would be appreciated before I screw up my ailerons
Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
daveosoar

Stay with the tape. In the UK the best is Sellotape 'Diamond' Lasts for years and sticks like ++++ to a blanket.
Daveosoar.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Gibsonia

Sounds like that tape will last longer than my glider, which in a couple of cases isn't really saying much

Any other recommendations for brand of tape? I'd like to try the UK verson, if the import tariffs arent too high...
Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Slope Flyer UK

Hi there.

I've not seen "Diamond Tape" for a few years now..........is it still produced ?

Another alternative is Scotch "Magic Tape", which I know is still available.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
slopemeno

E-6000/Goop/Shoe Goo makes a very tough hinge. Silicone, of course, is an ol' standard. Supposedly the aquarium silicone is the best choice.

3M #190 is what I use. It comes in clear as well as the primary colors, PLUS Krylon sticks to it so you could hinge, then paint your plane, which I've done on a plane thats 4 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73764.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	677496  
Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Slope Flyer UK

ORIGINAL: slopemeno

E-6000/Goop/Shoe Goo makes a very tough hinge. Silicone, of course, is an ol' standard. Supposedly the aquarium silicone is the best choice.

3M #190 is what I use. It comes in clear as well as the primary colors, PLUS Krylon sticks to it so you could hinge, then paint your plane, which I've done on a plane thats 4 years old.
Hiya.

Sadly, we don't have the same amount of variety of products in the UK............unlike you guys across the pond.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 PM
slopemeno

Look for E-6000 in plumbing supply places. I have heard of guys in UK finding it that way. It might also go by "Ecclectic-6000". I know you guys arent innundated with all the crap., er, products we sometimes are...It eats EPS so seal the foam with some thin epoxy first.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Slope Flyer UK

ORIGINAL: slopemeno

Look for E-6000 in plumbing supply places. I have heard of guys in UK finding it that way. It might also go by "Ecclectic-6000". I know you guys arent innundated with all the crap., er, products we sometimes are...It eats EPS so seal the foam with some thin epoxy first.
Cheers for that, Meno.