Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Battery for the GP Fling

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery for the GP Fling

I noticed that Tower Hobbies recommends that you use a specially shape battery for the Fling. Would a normal 4.8V square NiCd work? Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
8_Ball
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery for the GP Fling

I am sure there are countless configs that will work...however with my Fling weight was everything and I found a solution that worked for me. It is also semi-made for you so there isn't too much work. I purchased a battery pack for a Hobbyzone Mini-Mauler, It comes with 5 in the sealed pack so you will want to remove one. Cut open the plastic battery wrap careful not to cut into the batteries, and remove the single protruding battery. They are tack welded so a good yank will get it free or you can heat it up with a soldering iron. Once removed solder the remaining tabs to the appropriate pole (negative to positive and so on) then rewrap the pack with some battery wrap. Snip off the strange Mini Mauler connector and add your favorite one and voila... It fits perfectly and is very light...plenty of life for an afternoon of flight. To install it on the fuselage I pushed it as far as possible forward against the bulkhead in there and cut foam to length to fill in behind it. You could use double stick tape I suppose, but the foam worked for me. Do all of this BEFORE you string the linkages, if possible. Also, when putting on the connector leave yourself enough lead to unplug it and charge it from under the canopy and you will never have to take it out....Whew...that was a lot to type, but really it only takes about 10 minutes. Hope that helped!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
broke_n_bummin

I'm not familliar with the Fling batteries, but if you want to conserve on weight, use a 2 cell lipo and bec.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys
Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
sleep4
My Feedback: (2)

four AAA Nimh square pack. Fits perfectly.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleep4

four AAA Nimh square pack. Fits perfectly.
Doesn't interfere with the push pull strings?