Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

What do all these control surfaces actually do??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

What do all these control surfaces actually do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:25 AM
tim_escapes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do all these control surfaces actually do??

I've been learning to slope glide for a little while now and am totally hooked.

I fly a 2 channel airelon/elevator plane which is basically a trainer/aerobatic model. As i start to look to a new plane i'm thinking thermal 2m but what about all these control surfaces??

Flaps
Spoilers
Stabilisers

Spoilerons
Crow mixing?

What do they do and /or what do YOU use them for?

Ta
Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What do all these control surfaces actually do??

Its really not all that difficult.

About the only place you find spoilers now will be either scale sailplanes, or RES (rudder, elevator,spoiler) thermal planes.

Flaps make landing on the slope super easy once they are setup properly. A decent 6, and hopefully 8+ channel transmitter with mixing will allow you to have the flapsbe the brakes for landing, as well as doing camber changing with the ailerons for reflex (speed) or camber (lift). I like 90 degree flaps for landing vs crow, but I think its personal preference. My 100" slope racer will hover pretty easily with 90 degree flaps and land at a crawl. You will want to program in some down elevator to mix with the flaps as "elevator compensation" for your landing program.

Do you mean full-flying stabs? They are really very simple, and actually are what you want, since taking the stabs off makes the fuselage very compact and it will fit in a very flat wing-bag. If you mean a v-tail, the ruddder/elevators are mixed on the transmitter.

The net effect is not that different than flying you existing plane, but you have to switch "modes" on your transmitter. You will probably have a "launch mode" (some camber, maybe more rudder mixed to the ailerons, maybe a touch more throw for more control authority), cruise mode (more for fast flying- best LD), then landing mode (flaps, elevator compensation, lots of rudder), and so on.

If you find out where some guys are F3F racing in your area, go hang out and check out what they are up to. Thats also a great resource for things like used 6-function planes, high-end transmitters, etc.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:36 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your controls are there to provide Pitch, roll, yaw and speed control.

Elevator - pitch control
Rudder - yaw control
Ailerons - roll control
Flaps and spoilers provide speed control

Speed control is done by changing the shape of the wing to increase or decrease lift/drag characteristics.

Then you can combine the surfaces in special ways to get special effects.

Crow is a 5 surface mix where the two flaps moved down, the ailerons move up and the elevator is used to help keep the plane level. Crow creates huge amounts of drag on the wing and typically mixes in elevator to help keep the plane form diving or pitching up when you move the ailerons and flaps together.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 AM
tim_escapes

Yeah that all makes sense although i'm not yet into a tx that can mix anything other than vee tail and elevons. Moreover it's seems that the next logical step for me is to move from just airelons/elevator and get a plane that has rudder and flaps as well.

I can understand rudder - i've played countless hours of playstation games involving A/E/R planes. Flaps prsumably can help with changing wing shape for thermalling/speed and also for slowing the plane for landing. Would i control the flaps with the rotary control on the top right shoulder of my tx??

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Flap control location varies by transmitter and by preference.

On my Prism 7X it is on a dial, or on the throttle stick.

ON my Futaba 9C it is on the throttle stick, on a side slider, on a dial or on a switch, depending on where I want it.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 AM
TexasThermalKing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the fun of RC flying...the learning and doing will keep you busy asking questions...and you will be teaching the next group...just like aeajr.