Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Sig Samurai

Sig Samurai

Anyone remember this ship?

What are your thoughts?

I noticed nobody seems to carry it anymore, I always liked it's lines and option for the "twist wing".

I'm in the market for a new f/g and foam sloper.

Blair

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still have mine :)

I have one and still fly it - If you can find one I get it!! much fun, fast and can turn and roll. The ship is strong and tough. this also means heavy - Its my BIG wind plane - The RG 14 air foil is great on this ship!! It dosnt pull as hard as a RG 15 but is faster!!

I have it set up for pitcheron - the tail is rigid - this means nothing in the air flow to slw you down - caution on the landing it like to fly fast.

I want another one!! at least a new fuse would be nice - (hint hint to any one out there)

seeYA
    DH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another Possibility?

Blair a friend of mine has a Samurai. First time I'd ever seen a pitcheron and I was hooked. I've look ALL over for one and I finally found one made by a company in France called Airtech. Slopeflyer.com is now importing these for $200 in Arc setup. Looks like a real nice pitcheron. If your interested here's the link.

http://www.slopeflyer.com/html/airtech_pixel.html

Sig Samurai

Cool site.

Thanks,

Blair

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Samurai

I have this bird and I love it. Set up with pitcheron and a two piece v-tail so it pacs in a bag. First flight, I had it backwards... Pitch was right, but not the roll. No damage though. First slope flight was disappointing. Wind was only blowing 18 to 22 and I couldn't keep it aloft. Quite mushy in the turns. First REAL slope flight it was at around 25 to 30 with gusts into almost 40!!! This is the wind that it really shows it's stuff. No ballast at all needed and all the speed and penetration I could hope for. No room for lead anyway. I had many chances to land that day, but finally got slowed enough to land it at my feet. I had a custom bag made for me from The Bag Lady. I saw one for sale at Hub Hobby in Little Canada, Minnesota last week, but dont know the price. This is the grey foam with 64th plywood skins kit. I vacuum bagged mine with a 3/8 strip of carbon at the trailing edge, and sanded it SHARP! Now I use this wing to cut all my foam with!!! Alleymutt out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I still have mine :)

I have a couple of spare fuses. Let me know what you think...$50ea plus shipping.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a pic of one a friend gave to me. I have been a bit too scared to take it out and toss it since gliders are new to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75365.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	656685  
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Sammy was my first real performance plane. SIG doesn't make them anymore. As Quickie said, you can get a similar plane called the "Pixel" from Airtech from Greg Smith at Slopeflyer.com. That is a great performer too.

Most wingeron/pitcheron planes like these don't want to slow down on landing. Depending on your LZ and hill shape, you might want to fly something else heavy that has flaps/spoilerons/crow if you don't have something soft to hit on landing. Because it is so heavy, "flaring" is pretty impossible, and the best way to land these things is to just set up on final WAAY back and eventually run out of speed as you fly towards yourself looking back from the lip. As you learn the plane and learn how to judge its energy, you will get it to land near yourself, but I found I was often punching out back over the lip for many go arounds until I learned that.

The wing pivot mechanism and servos always takes a beating if you catch a wingtip on landing, which is the chief reason IMO that these pivot wingers aren't more popular. Otherwise they're quick to build and look and fly great, but you need to think about where you will land them well before you toss it off the hill.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sig Samurai

Nice advice, WJ.
    I like fast stuff, propjets and Q500, will it be a big deal to fly for me? Would it be a good idea to tow it up on a windy day and try to get used to it at my regular feild?
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vicman

Nice advice, WJ.
    I like fast stuff, propjets and Q500, will it be a big deal to fly for me? Would it be a good idea to tow it up on a windy day and try to get used to it at my regular feild?
    Vicman,

I don't think it will be hard for you to fly, but I think you'll find the landing is a lot like landing a Q500 with a ~8 inch pitch prop and NOT killing the motor.

Because the wingspan is pretty large, I never thought the Sammy seemed all that fast compared to smaller more nimble ships I flew at the time, but the speed was deceiving. It is smooth and silky and really has "legs". I haven't flown one in over 5 years, but I remember I could range out further from the edge of the hill with that plane than any other in my inventory at that time.

I'm not a big fan of winching/towing dedicated slopers. My home hill conditions are such that I always have a strong horizontal wind component in the LZ which is nothing like landing on a flat thermal field. If you want to try it, and have experience winching/towing other planes of similar weight and wing loading then it might be a good exercise for you.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Blair,

I LOVE my Samurai! It's my "go to" plane for heavy wind days. Fast and quick, but rock solid and not "skittery" at all. Mine is set up for wingeron.

Yes, like others have said, speed is deceiving and landing can be a challenge, but it's a fun ship to fly. I wish SIG would take a hint and bring this one back.

As far as availability, I got my kit through a "Wanted" ad on RC Groups. You might try there.

papermache
    Slope Gliding - A Northwest Indiana tradition since 1896