Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Kestrel 2M

Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kestrel 2M

I started flying R/C aircraft (powered flight) back in 1973 with my father. We flew together for 16 years. I then moved out of state because of a job relocation. Those 16 years that we flew together were the best 16 years of my life!! Now, after an almost 20 years absence, I have decided to return to this great hooby, this time, with my son! The only difference for me this time is that I chose to return flying sailplanes instead of powered aircraft. I purchased a Kestrel 2M sailplane a couple of years ago but never built it. I am about to start work on this project and I am wondering if any of you have any experience building this sailplane? Although I am not new to building R/C aircraft, I am new to building sailplanes. This kit has optional spoilers, should I add these to this plane? Are they necessary? Any advice or comments in regards to any aspect of this build would be a great help!

Thanks,
Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 PM
jschuring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kestrel 2M

good choice for a returning sailplane pilot.....I have built several, and have found the only thing really needed to enhance the Kestrel... is epoxying a strip of carbon fiber tape on the bottom of the bottom spar.... this much enhances the launch capability....for winch launches.... if you are not anticipating using a winch... then, in my view, nothing needs to be changed....good building techniques....snug fits and careful glue application are tantamount to a great flying bird.....the usual care to make sure all surfaces are straight and true always applies....incidentally.....in my area.... i have also used the kestrel as a slope bird, and its great....i modified the fuselage slightly to allow adding a bit of ballast to allow the bird to penetrate a bit more easily in heavier slope conditions....

Good luck....
Jim