Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Super Esprit
2.94%
Grand Esprit
10.59%
Aquila
29.41%
Aquila Grande
13.53%
Aquila XL
4.71%
Viking MkI
7.65%
Viking MkII
8.82%
Golden Eagle
4.71%
Wanderer 99
12.94%
Magnum 12
4.71%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Sailplanes you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 PM
thermaler
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailplanes you have had?

What sailplanes have you had?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Sailplanes you have had?

In order of appearance: Carl Goldberg Electra, House of Balsa 2x6, Klingberg Wing 72", motorless Electro-Streak sloper, AGR Viper, AGR Apex, NSP Sparrow II, Fuseworks Vortex, Global "Whip-It", Zagi Razor 48", Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady, Zagi Razor 48", Charlie Richardson Turbo FG, Zagi LE,Charlie Richardson Turbo ST, Zagi 99, Charlie Richardson Fun-1, Zagi LE, John Higgins "Alias", Zagi 99, Robbe ASW-19 3 meter, Zagi LE, Gerasis DG-800 3.6 meter, Cavasos "Boomerang", NSP Sparrow I, NSP Hillbilly, SoaringUSA Destiny, RC Direct Mach Dart, Skyking "Shredder", Performance Composites "Starlight". Performance Composites "Starling", SlopeScale Me-109,..probably forgetting a few here and there.

Oh, a Charlie Richardson "Raider" 100" racer. And a Birdworks Zipper.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 AM
shane.barton

Well, I have had the Tower Hobbies Vista (X2) and a Great Planes Fling HLG. Unfortunately my current location is not quite suitable for good sailplaning so I will have to wait till I get back state-side to continue that endeaver. I was totally unsuccessfull with the 2 Vistas partly due to my lacation and that I had only myself to teach me to fly them. The Fling on the other hand was an absolute hoot to throw around though. I have since changed over to glow planes but will be building me either a Gambler or Quickflik when I get to where I will be next.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
ChuckA

None listed. Tern IV, Sailaire, Valkyrie, Dragon Lady, Spica, and Sirius These are the sailplanes I flew p to 1985
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a dozen but never had one of those:

Spirit 2M RES
Sagita 600 2M RES
Airtronics Legend 3M full house
Polecat Thermal Dancer - 3.1M full house ( current main plane)
Zagi 3C slope
Sagitta 600 woble wing - not flown yet
I have a 2M full house, not flown, that I don't its name.
These are just a few.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Let's see, A Top Cat, HOB 2-T, Airtronics Olympic 650, Bird of Time, Top Flight Metrik, Scorpio Milvius, and an unflown Aquila Grande. I still have the Oly650, the Milvius and the Aquila Grande. I'm completing and electric powered motorglider, the Super Dimona
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM
NormF

Graupner Amigo II - First R/C, still have it but very tired
Oly 99 - My most successful contest glider
Graupner Clou - really fun to fly, until the power lines got it.
Graupner Cirrus - a beauty, died of radio failure
M+S Curio - neat standard class, retired
Gentle Lady - still have it
SULA Bird - club one design, like a Paragon. Waiting to be recovered
Gemini MTS - still flying, winch proof woodie
Paragon - my Mom's garage fell on it
Tossette (2) - Have a new one for the park contests

Had/have others but these were the most memorable.

- Norm
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM
NormF

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

Let's see, A Top Cat, HOB 2-T, Airtronics Olympic 650, Bird of Time, Top Flight Metrik, Scorpio Milvius, and an unflown Aquila Grande. I still have the Oly650, the Milvius and the Aquila Grande. I'm completing and electric powered motorglider, the Super Dimona
I still have a TopCat kit (Dave Thornburg) how did/does it fly?

- Norm
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I still have mine, too, although it has a busted tail. It flew fast and sometimes like a stone. Once I had it out when there were heavy thermals and it took three tries to enter the thermal. The thermal kept throwing it out. A very fast diving approach finally allowed me to enter and I got my longest flight with it, 24 minutes. Go Dave Thornburg, loved his articles on flying sailplanes. He's still relevant.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
NormF

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

I still have mine, too, although it has a busted tail. It flew fast and sometimes like a stone. Once I had it out when there were heavy thermals and it took three tries to enter the thermal. The thermal kept throwing it out. A very fast diving approach finally allowed me to enter and I got my longest flight with it, 24 minutes. Go Dave Thornburg, loved his articles on flying sailplanes. He's still relevant.
Thanks for the reply, maybe it will stay in the box!

- Norm
Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Red hobbies

Let's see.... Gentle Lady-First R/C sailplane, still have it 13+ years old. Wanderer (2M) Mark's Models, Spirit ARF, OLY650, OLY-II, Mini Max 1000, two Ridge Runts by Hobby Shack, coyote by Ripmax, HOB 2x4 and Sophisticated Lady (both still working on it), and Gentle Lady-converted-tail and wing.

Red Hobbies
Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
daveosoar

Not enough room for mine! I guess, since 1971, I have had over 100 but now down to a dozen or so - 2xReal PSS, 3xTD, 3x 1/4 scale, plus 3 mouldies for the comps. and 5 or 6 little buggers (under 6ft. span) but they dont count as size is everything for performance. the only US model was from NE Sailplanes, 3 metres of good stuff - a full house Victory from approx. 1998. Most others from European makers, except the PSS which were totally home brewed.
Daveosoar.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 AM
thermaler

Okay, how else voted for the Super Esprit and the Wanderer 99? Do you still have them??????
I have both of them, the Wanderer 99 is flying now and when I get finished coveering the wings of the Super I will start on the kit I just got [8D]
Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM
dld

First sailplane (1980) was an Archaeopterix Avion "Petrel"9 (I had two of them, the only two I've ever seen, I wish I still had them), followed by...Astro Flight "ASW 17", Aquila, RO8, Sagitta 600 (two of them, one with flat wings and ailerons), Sagitta 900 (flat wings and ailerons), Wanderer 99(highly modified), Dodgson Maestro Talisman, Talon, Graupner Fiesta SF, Pegasus (bought fuse and scratch built the rest), several scratch built slope and thermal ships, Saturn 3.0 prototype (Started my business in 1991 with this plane), Saturn 3.0 production version, Saturn 2.9T, Saturn 2.2E, Saturn 2M, Saturn HL, Machete, Saturn 2C (one of only two I built, carbon wings, I still have it), Saturn 3.3 (F3J prototype, I still have it) and numerous Saturn prototypes. I know I'm forgetting some, but these are the memorable ones.

David Layne
Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 AM
thermaler

dld

What does "Wanderer 99(highly modified)" mean. I am thinking of building another this winter and would be interested to know what YOU did.

Joe

Who is still kicking himself for not grabbing a Saturn 3.0
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
dld

Joe,

The Wanderer "99" was mostly had a modified fuselage and tail feathers, the wing was pretty much stock with the exception of different wing tips. The wing tips were the turned up hoerner type. The fuselage was modified with large triangle stock in the corners so it could be rounded and a T-Tail fin and stab were added. It looked very nice, almost like a glass fuse when done. It also flew better than a stock "99". I give the credit for that to the better aerodynamics of the fuse, since the wing was virtually unchanged. I used to have a photo somewhere, if I find it I'll send it to you.

Sorry you didn't get a Saturn 3.0 while I was making them. I wish you had as well. :-) I still have the fuse mold, and a prototype 130" version that I fly sometimes, and I still have the original 3.0 prototype hanging in my garage. Sometimes when I look at what is available today, I think I'd like to make some more, updated somewhat, of course. Time is always the killer for me though. If I could just retire, then I'd have the time.........No chance soon :-(

David
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
srnghigh

Thermaler,
I have two Super Esprits, One needs a new set of wings.not crashed just old, the other needs recovering.
They are on the to do list, probably this coming winter.

John T
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
thermaler

srnghigh

If I am not mistaking, you have the one that was once owned by George Joy, then hung in the lobby at Airtronics, retrieved by George, flown at the Nats then sold to Mike Stump?
You and I are lucky, we each have TWO. I also have a box that was supposed to be a wing kit that has everything except the tail boom that I got from Jim Ealy, one of the guys that helped Lee get the Grand going.

dld

Thank You. I have thought that a smaller fuse would be the way to go. I wish I had some experince with molding, I would ask to borrow your mold and a set of plans for the Saturn. Since I am just now starting a mold for a Craft Air Golden Eagle, I will leave that as a dream and "My lose for not getting one when they were availbile but back then it was the pretty woman that got most of my spare cash.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
thermaler

If the upload worked, George Joy, his Super and two little Aquilas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70475.gif
Views:	107
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	726170  
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
tahoebum

Wanderer 72, Gentle Lady, Piece o' Cake, Coyote.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

1971-Astro Flight Monterey
1975-Dodgson Todi
M&S Curio (They sold at least two!)
1976-Dodgson Maestro Caliente
1978-Maestro Megan
1982-Dodgson Camano 112" wood wing
pre-retirement
1995-E214 Camano
1998-Super Vee 2m
2003-Bird of Time ARF

JB LSF 796

Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 AM
mucksmear

1984 - Gentle Lady
HOB 2T
Astro Flight ASW-15
Windigo (Pete Roehling - Model Builder magazine)
Wizzard
HOB 2x4
Craftair Freedom
Craftair Freedom Xcell
Bob Martin Coyote
Midjet (Les Rudd design - RCM&E Sept '84)
Obelix (Chas Gardiner design - RCM&E Jan '83)
Bridi Tercel
Pec Polymers Genesis
CSD S.O.S
DAW 1-26
Blue Arrow Angel DLG
Old 07-28-2007, 11:14 PM
juggler-3310

It looks like this would be the best group to pose my question to. I've attached two photographs of a sailplane that I purchased locally. It was not in great shape when I bought it, so I decided to restore it and in the process converted it over to electric flight. I removed the front wheel, extended the motor off of the firewall with a motor mount and built a cowling for it, which it did not originally have. In other ways I attempted to keep the design as original as possible. My question is this: does anyone recognize this model? I have no idea what it is. It looks similar to a Carl Goldberg Cumulus from the 1940s, but it isn't one. I am scratching my head trying to figure out what I have. Any help would be appreciated.

The photographs were taken just before a successful launch. It flies beautifully, and its flight characteristics are very forgiving. But I was troubled by not knowing where the CG should be - fortunately I got it very close to the right location. Knowing what model this is would probably allow me to find a set of building plans so that I could see where the CG is designed to be, as well as other useful information. If anyone has an idea of this model's identity, please let me know. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70516.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	731623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36742.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	731624  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM
NormF

I'm guessing Comet (Goldberg) Intercepter. See: http://bhplans.com/GMPg1.html

- Norm
Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 AM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

I know some of these are older than I am, but they are what I was taught with. Joe Ruth Prophet, Sagitta 600, Larry Jolly Pantera, Olympic II, Sailaire, Hangar 9 Aspire with spoilers added, Viking, Spirit 2m, and various others which names escape me. On the bulding board I currently have a Bob Martin Bobcat. Also waiting to be built are: DCH Sailaire, Airtronics Sagitta 600, and a Katie II.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.