Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Safe to fly in school yard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
330xi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to fly in school yard?

Hi everyone,
I just got into rc sailplanes and just finished flying behind a school. As I was packing up a couple walked by and I overheard the woman telling her husband I was "stupid for flying where there could be little ones"
I was flying my easyglider which is made of styro foam (elapor?).
I guess if the thing nose dived and picked up some speed it could cause harm.
Keep in mind I don't fly when there are kids on the field. There is usually a few people that walk by and stop to "watch the pretty plane".
I've heard stories where people were hurt from large heavy rc airplanes and helis. Has anyone ever been injured by a "foam" airplane?
I guess I never thought that something this light could do much damage but this thing can pick up speed in a nose dive.
I was planning on joining a flying club but it's so convienient to fly down the street.
Your input would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Safe to fly in school yard?

Simple - If there are ANY people in the area where they could be struck by your plane, DON'T FLY. If you were flying a chicken feather and it struck anybody, undoubtedly that would be just the jerk to sue for $1M in damages and trauma to their frail psyche.
Beyond that, you might flag down a police car and ASK if there is any legal (municipal) restriction against you flying there. Then ask if there is any place he would suggest.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Some folks are obsessed with the "little ones" and don't think anyone should have any fun at all if they aren't obsessing over the "little ones" themselves.

You're obviously attentive to folks coming onto the field and won't fly when kids are playing sports there so I don't see it as a big deal. And you've like brought far more smiles to kids than you've endangered by the sounds of it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Continue to fly, if there are any ordinaces about not flying you'll find out soon enough. Also people are negative towards things they don't know or undertand and might tell you there are rules against it when there aren't. I've had park patrols tell me I can't fly at the parks here and we're officially allowed to.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 PM
kwmtrubrit

It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask for permission. However, don't buy trouble. As already mentioned, only fly when the field is empty. FLY SAFE

Keith
Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
vertigo72480

Put a cannon on it and point it at the idiots worrying about the 'little ones." I'm tired of idiots telling me what I can and can't do. Same people who want to have fairness in radio, take your guns away, and not allow you to fly. If you are responsible, and it sounds like you are, keep flying safely and smartly and the "problems" will work themselves out. I like the idea about asking the police about ordinances, but don't invite trouble. Just my two cents from an fed up, bitter, angry 27 year old.

Have fun.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

I flew for years in schoolyards with my Gentle Lady. The ONLY problem I ever had was a gas-field jerk who decided "I cant fly there".
A 2-meter sailplane is the perfect peaceful way to wind down a busy day.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM
330xi

Thanks for all the responses.

Does anyone know the amount of force a nose dive can produce? At terminal velocity would this thing turn into a "lawn dart"? It's been awhile since I took physics
I'll probably fly at the local high school b/c there is a little more space and no playground to attract the "little ones". I would rather avoid stressing out any of my neighbors in the "hood".
Does anyone know of a flying club in or around Okemos Michigan?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Bad_Daddy

I was flying a HLG one day at a local park, when a Police car drove up to tell me he'd gotten a complaint about my airplane making too much noise! While I talked to him and asked him exactly what noise I was making to complain about, I flew the plane about 10' overhead. I eventually landed it (it was getting toward dusk anyway) and showed him completely that the only thing that could make any noise was the servos, which he had not heard from 10 feet above us. Then I told him he should contact the person who called the police, to remind them the police department was not there to help them press false charges!
He thanked me for my frankness and honesty and bade me a nice evening.
That was over 20 years ago, proving that jerks are not new to this generation, nor any other. Just fly safely, and abide by the actual rules.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying on a school property does have some strings attached.

School principals have authority over the use of the property in most states. It's not wise to simply start using the property without considering that. And it's humorous, but some places consider it to be trespass if you're on the property when school is in session, and consider it trespass if you're on the property after hours. Actually, it's not humorous at all. Nowadays, almost nothing is humorous when it comes to "the children". If you're worried about the airplane being safe, then go a step beyond that and be safe and simply ask at the principal's office if he minds. If he does, you've been warned. If he doesn't mind, you now have permission. And he should know if it's against the ordinances.

Does anyone know the amount of force a nose dive can produce? At terminal velocity would this thing turn into a "lawn dart"? It's been awhile since I took physics
Depends on what's nose diving. But, yes, almost any glider can do the lawn dart trick. Ever seen the HLG's that free flighters often build and fly? They're small and light. Wings are balsa sheet. Fuselages are often a balsa stick. And I've seen one sticking out of a convertable top. OK, seen the tail sticking out.

Would your foamy stick up in the ground? Nah. But are you looking for the cutoff point for safe versus unsafe type fuselages? There isn't one. Hit somebody in the wrong place with a foamy and you'll be the one with the black eye (or worse) especially if you don't have permission to be flying that foamy at that schoolyard.