Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Transportbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 AM
executor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transportbox

Hi guys,

i'm building a 1:3 DFS Sperber Junior, and since the model has a 5,2 m span, it demands a more "civilised" form of transporting. I'm looking for a transport box with enough space to store wings + fuselage. Is there a manufacturer (Europe or USA) that fits these demands???

grtz Marko
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transportbox

Don't know of any mfg's who make model airplane boxes for transportation. Or anything close.

If you are looking for something to transport to-from the flying field, the original boxes that ARFs are shipped in work marginally. They do however work great as patterns for us to build our own, stronger "crates" from. I've been using 1" thick insulating foam for lots of things for awhile now. It would make an excellent box that would be light and decently strong for to-from transportation. It would be very easy to make.

The sheets are 4'x8' and available at all our home improvement warehouses. I'm including a picture of a model stand made to fit the fuselage of a tricycle gear airplane that won't stand up without the wing (main gear).

A friend of mine who brings his large models to the field in a trailer has made 'bins' out of the 3" thick foam for the trailer. One bin has slots he loads wing halves into. The things the foam will do are limited only by imagination.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40303.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	743148  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 PM
dclancey

Check out Pack Lite Systems http://www.pack-lite.com/ they will make anything you want for model airplanes. I have a box from them that works great.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dclancey

Check out Pack Lite Systems http://www.pack-lite.com/ they will make anything you want for model airplanes. I have a box from them that works great.

What size is your box, and what did it cost?

What do you transport in it?

tia
Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM
dclancey

I have had my box for about 10 years. I paid $150 for it. It measures 12 x 8 x 52 and I have been taking Q 500 and Qm 40s to Phoenix for that long in it. I have wheels on one end that make it easy to drag though the airport. I can carry 3 Q 500s at a time and 3 Qm 40s in it at a time. Three airplanes per trip.

Doug