Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider ID and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Kiiski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider ID and questions

Hi everyone,
I was given a glider by a friend, who had no information about it himself, it was given to him, and was told it was a slope glider. I have never flown gliders before, but have experience with electrics. It is pretty heavy, sorry I don't have a scale, and looks to be at least a fiberglass fuselage. Does anyone know anything about this glider and how do the wings stay attached? There are two eye hooks on the base of each wing, but I don't know what they are for, I can't imagine rubber bands, there doesn't appear to be any way to get to them once the wings are slid on. I understand the rods to hold them in alignment, but what keeps them from slipping off? Same with the stab,
The specs are:
Wingspan 79"
Wing chord at root 10"
Fuselage length 43 3/4"
Semi Symmetrical airfoil, thanks to anyone in advance who can help me out with this ship,
here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25814.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	753484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73566.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	753485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15197.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	753486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51331.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	753487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88630.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	753488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40966.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	753489  
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 AM
dld

Default RE: Glider ID and questions

I can't say I recognize the specific aircraft, but I can tell you about holding the wings and stab on. Judging by what I see, it should be a fine flyer.

A rubber band or a spring can be used to hold the wings against the fuse. Make a small hook out of piano wire, attach the spring/rubber band to one wing. Push your hook through the fuselage and hook it onto the spring/ rubber band. As you slide the wing against the fuselage, pull the hook through to the other side. Once it is through, you can slide the hook so it makes kind of a "T" so it doesn't slip back through. Slide the other wing on, and when it is up close enough, use your hook to attach the spring/ rubber band onto the second wing. If it sounds complicated, it's just because it is difficult to explain in writing. Pictures would be better, but I don't have any. It really is quite simple and easy to do. the stabs just stay on because of friction. Theoretically they could slide off, but in about twenty five years of flying, I personally have never had it happen. If the stab rods are really loose, you can put a very slight bend in one of them to create some stiction.

DLD
Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM
dgliderguy

Kiiski,

Looks like a Dave Friant 2m Thermal Grabber to me. Dave lives in Renton, not into gliders anymore I hear. Previous post did a good job of explaining the wing retention method. BTW, this one will thermal just fine, on a good day with well-defined thermals. You don't need a slope to fly it. Keep your speed up though!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Good looking plane
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Kiiski

Thanks for the information,
I tried the wing attachment outlined above and it was easier to do than to read! Thanks DLD! dgliderguy, I found one article about the Thermal Grabber and it looks very similar, however, the article I saw mentioned it had a bolt on wing, so I don't know. Thanks again for the help.
Any websites I should be looking into for beginner glider flyers?
Kiiski
Old 09-03-2007, 02:11 AM
dld

Glad I could help. I don't get out to fly as much as I'd like these days, so it always makes me feel good if I can help someone.

DLD
Old 09-03-2007, 02:23 AM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

Possibly an older Victory S(or was it c) from North East Sailplanes?