Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Which glider for slope soaring?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Which glider for slope soaring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Jeddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which glider for slope soaring?

I'm looking to buy another glider (or maybe 2) for slope soaring when I go to the Dortmund show in a couple of weeks, but can't decide what to get.
I'm looking for something to fly off my local slope, that will fly in most winds and is capable of shifting, but will also takea bit of abuse (I don't claim to have my landings perfect yet). I guess I'd describe my flying style as mostly aerobatic. As long as it's not a big glider, I don't mind doing without flaps, but if we're much over 60inch I'd want them for crow braking if nothing else!

My shortlist is currently the following:-
Shooting star (a.k.a Nemesis)
Mini-Nyx (similar to above)
Mini-dragon
Fredy
Prodij
Aldij (getting a bit bigger here, but it's supposed to take the abuse!)
Destiny
and I think someone recommended a mini-wizard, but I can't find out much about that yet.

I think half of the above are very similar i.e. RG15 with a v-tail, so maybe there's not much to compare between them anyway???

Any suggestions as to which to go for or avoid, including any others I've not mentioned would be gratefully received.

P.S. I'm in the UK, so anything only available in the US will probably be either difficult or expensive to source.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:26 PM
milberto
My Feedback: (1)

Default mach dart

LOOK AT THE RC DIRECT WEB SITE, THEY SELL A 60" MACH DART, FLY"S IN LIGHT LIFT AND HEAVY LIFT, VERY FAST, DURABLE, FULLY MOLDED, AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT 239.00

I FLY AT TORREY PINES HERE IN SAN DIEGO AND THEY ARE QUITE POPULAR, ALL OF THE SPEED JUNKIES OWN THEM. WITH A COMPUTER RADIO YOU CAN MIX IN REFLEX FOR LANDING OR CAMBER ON THOSE LIGHT DAYS.

I OWN ONE AND IT IS MY DAILY FLYER

GOOD LUCK

BILL
Old 03-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Jeddy

Thank's Bill, that's interesting. Do you have any details about who makes it (Mach I assume), or a URL for them perhaps.
If I decide to go for one of those it would be useful if I could find a dealer in Europe (last time I contacted RC-direct they told me it was too expensive to ship to Europe). If I can't find a local supplier I'll have to discard the dart from my shortlist.
I have had a look on the web, but not found anyone yet...

Anyone any other thoughts???
Old 03-19-2003, 04:57 AM
milberto

Default MACH DART

SORRY DIDN"T SEE YOU WERE IN THE U.K., THE MACH DART IS MADE BY A CHEK COMPANY, I HAVE HEARD OF ANOTHER DISTRIBUTER IN EUROPE, LET ME SCRATCH AROUND A LITTLE AND I WILL SEE IF I CAN COME UP WITH A NAME

THANKS

BILL
Old 03-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Jeddy

I've just been having another search, and once again failed (everything seems to come back to RCdirect or Glider King), so if you do find anything that would be appreciated.
That's the problem with giving gliders common names like 'dart' - makes them impossible to find! Why can't all gliders have names like the 'mini-nyx', try searching Google on that and you find nothing but what you're looking for!! (even if half of it isn't in English).
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Jimbonk

Jeddy, for cheap and durable it's tough to beat an EPP Foamie. PersonallyI think Flaps are Great on a Sloper. If you are worried about Landing then Flaps will make you look like a Seasoned Slope Racer. The Eastern Europeans make some very nice Slope Planes for Export into the US, and the price is pretty good too.
The true F3F planes are great, but then they are not "cheap".

The big difference between two airplanes < one w/flaps one w/o flaps> is when you ballast them up . The one with Flaps is still easy to land, the one w/o flaps is even harder!

Jim B
Old 03-19-2003, 11:46 PM
bjaffee

FYI, RC direct actually has the instructions for the Mach Dart available on line if you want some details...

http://www.rc-direct.com/pdf_files/M...structions.pdf
Old 03-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Cactus.

I dont know what area your looking at, but 60" V-tail says this to me
http://www.phoenixmp.com/models/stilleto.htm
for more abuse you want the EPP version
http://www.phoenixmp.com/models/ricoshe.htm
for small chuck about action you cant beat the Vagrant or Vagabond
http://www.phoenixmp.com/models/vag-vagr.htm
Old 04-11-2003, 05:31 AM
cobalt

Default Mach-1 link...

http://www.mach1performance.com/

hth,
Jason
Old 04-11-2003, 11:10 AM
marko

Hey friends do anybody know where to find some plans about glider.
What i have in mind is slope and thermal glider without engine (rudder, elevator, ailerons and maybe brakes to) which is a kind of begginer model but also useful for some loops and fast flying

Something like Robbe's Golden Oriole or Sea Gull 2200 (they are expensive, aren't they?)

bye