Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Getting started in gliding!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
KickAce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting started in gliding!

Hi Jason

Learning to fly if you have not done so before can be a challenging thing to do..

I had self-taught myself many, many years ago… My first plane was the Gentle Lady… There were no clubs in the area that flew sailplanes/gliders and had only built a rubber-powered plane when I was very young… She was an easy build for a beginner and flies nice… Be prepared to break it from time-to-time… But when you build her, fixing her will be easier than you might think… just be sure that you collect ALL the pieces…

Read the plans several times while walking though the process through your head visualizing the building process as if you were actually building it and become comfortable in your own mind before you begin… You will find times where something just doesn’t make sense and this is the time to figure these issues out and not while under construction… It just makes the whole building process that much more enjoyable… Should be a very good project for you and your boy…

Try and find someone who flies them… If you can find someone to help you get flying to begin with will add to the enjoyment during those learning-to-fly days and help reduce the chances that you will be back at the construction table making repairs…

There is a learning curve learning what thermals are and detecting them… Plan on many, many launches that last 3 to 5 minutes and I do mean many… But once you connect with your first thermal and watch as she flies higher and higher where it is a mere speck in the sky… When it happens you will be hooked for life…! Be patient, it WILL happen…!!!

Enjoy, you and your son will have many happy years together, learning, flying and enjoying… Just hang in there…!!
Kevin
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Welcome to soaring. Your Gentle Lady choice is a good one. The kit is inexpensive. The build is straightforward. It flys well and is probably just about the perfect beginner plane. However, you will never really "outgrow" it, no matter how far you go in the hobby.

Learning to fly is difficult without an instructor. Just remember that the Gentle Lady is not a really strong airplane and it can be overstressed, so stay within its capabilites and do not "hot dog" it; there are other planes for that after you learn to fly.

EJ
Athens, LA
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
landing-gear

ORIGINAL: jasonp8127

So I got to thinking of course The idea I like about them the most is its something I could share with my 6 year old son. Something he could possibly fly by himself, with me close by.

I have no plane experience, but about 13 years of gas and electric r/c cars. Raced for many years but the cost of constantly broken parts got the better of me after a while.
I guess my real questions are
Hi Jason

I see you haven't replied lately but I can only hope you haven't jumped in the deep end first! it seems everyone missed a very imported piece of your post

"I have no plane experience"

You really should try a RTF plane/glider like the Multiplex Easy Star/Glider before going into a kit because it will only take one good crash you will have 10 boxes of matches in coloured wraping

Foam planes are very easy to repair and can take alot in the way of hard landing/crashes

Cheers Lawrence
Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
outflying
My Feedback: (2)

Jason,
Good to see you're interested in the hobby!
I've been scratch building and flying giant scale for over 30 years. Everything from Ziroli giant warbirds to Lasers and Biplanes. However, I enjoy flying gliders on lazy days when I don't want to travel to the field and bother with gas.
I had a gentle lady that I flew for a lot of years and taught all my kids to fly. Now adays I fly a gentle lady that I enlarged 20% and launch with a dynaflite Hi-Start which is over 30 years old also and I love the lazy flying.
I just resently purchased a Tower Hobby "Vista ARF" to teach my 6 year old grandson with and it appears to be a good first plane. Most sailplanes fly very well if you keep them light and properly balance them with it slightly on the nose heavy side. This makes it more stable and easier to handle until you get you confidence up. I'm "ole school" and really don't mind walking the Hi-Start.

Hope this helped and happy flying.
Outflying.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Sportflyr
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome story. Kinda how I felt as a kid seeing my first RC plane. Sounds like we are both in this together. Since my move from FL to Maine, I ve been looking for an alternative to club-sized, glow-powered aircraft. Not NEARLY the flat-land available here! Ordered the Vista Brushless ARF to toss off of some awesome ridges. This will be my first sailplane also. Hopefully your story ended well and you're flying.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:37 AM
ChuckLohre

Check out this great article all about soaring from A to Z
http://pulling-gz.blogspot.ca/2015/1...-and-plan.html