Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Easy Glider Electric - minimum brushless/lipo setup?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Multiplex Easy Glider Electric - minimum brushless/lipo setup?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Easy Glider Electric - minimum brushless/lipo setup?

I have a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric on my wish list. Pondering a power system for it to use a brushless motor (have already - can rewind to fit power system), ESC(w/ BEC) and Lipo pack. Curious as to how much power is required (wattage) to get this plane to climb as required? Really trying to go light with this. Comparing 7.4 to 11.1 as well. 12A ESC vs 25A ESC.

Appreciate any input.

somegeek
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Multiplex Easy Glider Electric - minimum brushless/lipo setup?

I use a tool called motorcalc to help figure out power systems. You can use it free for 30 days. Go to motorcalc.com to download.

You can plug in motor - motor variables, prop size and pitch , gear box ratios, battery types and number of cells.

I have an Easy Glider with a Phasor 30/3, 9 x 6 prop, and a 3 cell 3200 lipo. Plug those components into Motorcalc. Actual performance is near vertical.

Hope this helps. bob

Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: somegeek

Curious as to how much power is required (wattage) to get this plane to climb as required? Really trying to go light with this. Comparing 7.4 to 11.1 as well. 12A ESC vs 25A ESC.

Appreciate any input.

somegeek
I am curious as to what kind of climb you require. The stock motor will take it up. If you want a 60 degree climb, I would recommend about 120 brushless watts per pound. If you want it to go verticle, then get up about 180 watts.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What did you finally put in your EGE?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Sailplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gees Bob...,

doesn't that Phasor have too much power for an EGE? How well does it thermal with that much weight up front? I have used a Phasor 30/3 direct drive on a Sprectra and it got it up high fast, but didn't thermal too well with the weight of the Phasor. I have found the Phasor to be a great motor and one that does not damage easily.

I have an EGE that I'm going to maiden later this week if the weather here in Florida is A-OK. I'm setting it up with a Himax HB2815-1400 direct drive, 3S 1500 mAh LiPo and a folding CAM 8/4.5 prop. The spacs on this Himax limit the prop size to an 8/4.5 prop. Will let you guys know how well this set-up works out.

Ernie
Sailplane

Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sailplane

Gees Bob...,

doesn't that Phasor have too much power for an EGE? How well does it thermal with that much weight up front? I have used a Phasor 30/3 direct drive on a Sprectra and it got it up high fast, but didn't thermal too well with the weight of the Phasor. I have found the Phasor to be a great motor and one that does not damage easily.

I have an EGE that I'm going to maiden later this week if the weather here in Florida is A-OK. I'm setting it up with a Himax HB2815-1400 direct drive, 3S 1500 mAh LiPo and a folding CAM 8/4.5 prop. The spacs on this Himax limit the prop size to an 8/4.5 prop. Will let you guys know how well this set-up works out.

Ernie
Sailplane

My set up is heavy. Especially with the 3 cell 3200 lipo and my full size receiver. And the 30/3 is a powerful motor for the EGE. I was originally worried about twisting the nose off of the EGE with all of the torque produced by the Phasor. But that has not been an issue. The plane flies great. There is always wind here in Northern Indiana so the weight helps. I have about 20 flights on it. Shortest flight was 30 minutes. And the longest was over an hour. Handles great and thermals pretty darn good. My style is to get up high quickly and look for thermals and this is a good set up for that. It is lots of fun flying it up to start the hunt for thermals. And yes I agree that Phasors are great motors. bob