Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Accipiter Badius Flight Time

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Accipiter Badius Flight Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:49 AM
vertical_dive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accipiter Badius Flight Time

Hi,

This is one for any Accipiter Badius flyers. I've recntly purchased an Accipiter Badius from Ebay (model number 3380-1) and I've been very impressed with the build and rigidity of the model. I'm looking to take it out on a first flight soon. The only information missing from the instruction that came with the glider is the recommended flight time.

The glider comes with a 7-cell 8.4v 600mAh battery pack. I can't find anyhting on the interweb thingy machine that recommends how long to keep the glider in the air before you lose control of it. Can anyone here give me a rough idea from their experience of the best flight time before bringing the glider back to earth?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Johnmpa

Default RE: Accipiter Badius Flight Time

Depending on the amount of thermals in the area (will thermal well in good thermals only), you get about 5-7 minutes of lfight time if you are conservative with the throttle. Good airplane for a trainer, as it is cheap and easy to repair/replace. I got rid of mine after about a year and now am into gas/real gliders. Have fun!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:19 AM
vertical_dive

Many thanks for the info. 5 - 7 minutes doesn't seem that long though! If I were to replace the battery with say and 8.4v pack that has a higher mAh rating, would this give a longer flight time or would a higher mAh rating fry the receivers? (apologies, but I don't really understand the intricacies of electrics/batteries, etc)
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
John Hunton

The Accipiter Badius is a great model for the money. With a few mods it will fly 15 minutes or more. By setting up a good climb rate and letting it go it will go out of sight if you let it. This is with the stock battery. A sketch of my few mods is attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12965.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	824299  
Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 AM
BrianofOntario

i have one, and on the stock bettery i get about 13 minutes continuous flight, well over 20 mins if i glide. I made a new battery pack from rechargeable McNair 800 mAh AAA that i got off of ebay, $10 for 16, enough for 2 packs and a couple extras. That new pack has about 18 minutes flight time with full throttle. Yesterday, with both packs and a lot of gliding ( i had it up about 200m above me), I had it in the air for over 45 minutes, and thats without updraft.