Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

nitro winch design anyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
rkremser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro winch design anyone

Just thinking about alternatives for a winch that I am planning on putting together. Has anyone just used a spare nitro engine with an electric clutch between the output and the drum. No heavy batteries, just something small 12v to power the clutch. and rig up a pull start. How possible or am i just going to get stuck with a very underpowered setup. Looking for any feedback at all. I have used but never owned a winch just to put this in perspective. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
rkremser

Default RE: nitro winch design anyone

Mechanically I'm able to do it, its just a question of power output required to get a decent launch on average. I have seen some have about 2.4hp and the os 46 that i have on hand looks like it can manage about only 1.7hp.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

What about a weed eater motor? they are already setup with a centrifuge style clutch. most are 26-31cc
tighter clutch springs would let it get up more rpm's before engaging.

rig it with a foot throttle and foot kill switch (automotive high/low beam foot switch would do the trick)

Most will turn 7,000-8000 rpm or so.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
soarhead-RCU

Saw one about 2 years ago that had a weedeater type motor on it v-belt pulley off the centrifical (SP) clutch to a jack shaft with another pulley that rotated the drum. Had a throttle pedal to tap just like a car. Ill bet it didnt weigh as much as a deep discharge battery. Pulled up 2 and 3 meter jobs like it didnt even break a sweat. Had a overspin problem though needed some kind of drag brake after pop offs or Zoom launches, he was working on that. Guy was from Ohio and was thinking about produceing them but never did hear any more about it.
Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Here's one someone built on RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39157
Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The spool up time and rundown coasting would be an issue. But since it has a functional throttle you should be able to set up a throttle stop so max throttle is just enough for the model being launched. Some sort of brake set up that activates when the "gas pedal" is fully released would be a must. It doesn't need to be electric. Something mechanical would be fine. Perhaps a disc brake set from a mountain bike?

A model airplane engine would be more of a pain to use. The need for cooling fans, connection to a pull starter of some form. Adapting it to a clutch, and finally the need for a reduction gear box since the 12 to 14K they turn is WAAAAAAY too fast. Even a weedeater engine would likely need a reducer but at least that could be done with pulleys and V belts. And a V belt and pulley brake could also work although the bicycle disc would look more high tech....

Keep in mind that it's not just the pull for the model you need but also the power needed to pull the line across the ground between the winch and the turnaround pulley. Pulling line through dry grass is no biggie. But when the grass is dew'ey on a cool morning it's like pulling the line through glue.