Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

1st electric crashed on 1st toss in 1st few seconds.......why?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

1st electric crashed on 1st toss in 1st few seconds.......why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
oinkjackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st electric crashed on 1st toss in 1st few seconds.......why?

foamie slope gliders mostly the combat wing types like zagis etc. there has been no wind lately so i decided to purchase an electric glider..anyway i recieved my mail order hanger 9 rtf aspire electric with folding prop . put it together check to see ithat controls were working right (and they all checked out) set trim on rudder netural and set elevator with just a "slight bit of up" powered up motor to full throttel and i was thinking this isnt gonna.. fly it seems under powered but thought to myself theres only 1 way to be sure. so i gave it a real good hard toss and i watched plane gracefully arch and decend nose down into the ground....and of course i forget to close throttel befor it hit ground so the prop broke...and being a dummy i didnt order a spare (or 2 or 3) doh!!! anyway i was wondering what did i do wrong?....or is the plane just an underpowered pile of junk??????help please............thanks in advance if anyone replies
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
slopeboy

Default RE: 1st electric crashed on 1st toss in 1st few seconds.......why?

one word. Balance. and toss that baby into tall grass. to check the glide.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 AM
rscarawa

In line with the previous post, check the glide before flying. Give it a good level throw and be ready for either a quick pitch up or down. If it does either get it under control fast. Once you release the plane, put it in a slight nose down attitude until about 12"-18". Once the glider will do this power off, then try flying on the power. First turn on the motor, throw level, let the glider build speed and then go for a 20 degree or so climb out. Worst thing you can do is stall on take off.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
redrider19

one of my buddies had a plane similar to yours and when he threw it over the hill it flew for ten feet then arched down and hit the ground.

i had a bunch of quarters in my car so we loaded the thing up with about $2.50 worth of quarters and with a few tosses to get the quarters in the right place in the plane,(tail) it few perfect and i noticed if it is aTINY bit nose heavy it turns better when your are trying to turn back into the wind

good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if a plane dives down like that, then the balance is off. It should be labeled "C.G." in your instruction manual.

A good rule of thumb is about 1/3 the way back from the front of your wing, or the leading edge. If the plane doesn't even balance out when you are that far back, then you know it's heavy on one end, in your situation it would be tail heavy.

What the guys above recommended is what you should try. Launch it about 4-5 ft. above the ground, and see how it glides. If it starts to arch down immediately from a level launch, then you need more tail weight, or a shift of the onboard radio gear. If it pitches up the whole flight, then you need more weight up front. If it flies a good and long arch down, then it should be fine to fly. Power up and give it a toss and let it build speed. Then climb up in a shallow manner, and see how straight it flies. You can then land and trim it some more, if it needs it, and then you should be able to fly it hands off, straight and level.

Latteral balancing works just the same, except with balancing it on the fuselage, instead of the wing. Slight left flight means it nees some weight on the right wing pannel. Visa-versa for the other way.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to say it's not balance but also look at the throws you have and direction of throw, up is up? Also look at the nose from the side and does it look like the motor is poited straight? No down thrust? When yo uget ready for the next try have a second person launch it so you have your hands on the controls.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
oinkjackson

thx guys for the replys i will try out the tips you all gave .....thanks ..and 1 more question ..when the motor is powered up to 100% and im holding it in my hand over head.. shouldnt it feel really light like it wants to fly out of my hand?? because mine just doesnt feel like its gonna fly from the get go? anyway im waiting on props from mailman....i will let ya know if i get her to fly thx again..cya
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
oinkjackson

yes the direction of the throws are correct... as far as the the motor looks from the side view the shaft is angled downwards did i bend shaft? or is that normal?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM
oinkjackson

thx guys for the replys i will try out the tips you all gave .....thanks ..and 1 more question ..when the motor is powered up to 100% and im holding it in my hand over head.. shouldnt it feel really light like it wants to fly out of my hand?? because mine just doesnt feel like its gonna fly from the get go? anyway im waiting on props from mailman....i will let ya know if i get her to fly thx again..cya
Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

powered up motor to full throttel and i was thinking this isnt gonna.. fly it seems under powered but thought to myself theres only 1 way to be sure
All of your points are valid, but.... I am surprised that nobody has mentioned battery power and charge.

oinkjackson : Lesson learned for you.... When something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

Rafael
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How did it do on a test glide with no motor?

On take-off, did you apply any up elevator?

Did you balance it before you flew it? A mistake people make with RTFs is that some of them need to be balanced. The instructions tell you to balance it and how.

With the motor off, and with a good push into the wind, it should glide out smoothly and do a nice flat glide to the ground 50-100 feet from you depending on the throw.

Aspire RTF is not a powerful plane, but it flies fine. Climb angle should be about 20-30 degrees on a 7 cell pack or 2 cell Lipo. It will fly on 6 cell, but the climb angle has to be kept around 20 degrees. Takes about 2 minutes to get to soaring height.

Put in a gearbox or change over to brushless and you can get a much steeper climb.

Aspire is a nice flying plane.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:52 AM
oinkjackson

ok this rookie got her to fly today. the cg was way off on the maiden.. instructions said it was factory balenced so i never checked the cg befopr maiden,,(how stupid....duh!) in the manual it said cg was between 3 and 3 and 3/4 from the Le of wing. (mine was balancing at 5 inches behind the Le) i added tons of lead and it was still off so finally i moved the battery pack all the way forward and took out the ton of lead i previously added. now it seemed ok..this time i want up to the top of a hilll where i often f ly my slope plane (the wind was totally nil) and i powered up mptor and threw it like a baseball as hard as i could.. i let her run in shallow dive for about 75ft ft building up speed befor i gave her some up elevator. and what do ya know she was flying!! i was hesitant to give it much elevator so i let her climb at less than 5 degrees (and it still felt lilke she was gonna stall.. anyways it was gettin dark so i set her down... tomorrow im gonna try to launch on level ground again.. thanks for the advice guys...this is a great forum and i have alreadsy learned a ton of usefull info in the last 2 days....ok somebody tell me to shut the f up! geezeeeeeeeeee! thx! cya!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On electric planes, as you learned, the battery placement is critical.

She is not a powerful plane in stock trim, but it will climb to soaring height and once up there, will thermal nicely.

Over time, sneak the CG back a little at a time till it starts to get overly sensative, then move it back forward a hair. That will give you your best thermaling trim.

When it is windy, move the CG forward a little for stability.

You may find some useful tips here:

Balancing
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=84