Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Newbie launcher questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM
bob95065

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie launcher questions

I live in Santa Cruz and am getting back into RC after a 10 year hiatus. I picked up a Airtronics Cumic on craigslist NOS a month ago. I am starting construction next week while I recover from hernis surgery.

I flew RC glow planes years ago but never gliders. Anyone willing to help a new guy learn glider flight? Like I said I live in Santa Cruz so I am near some of the places you guys fly.

Last night I bought some second hand stuff from another craigslist ad. I picked up a tackle box full of building supplies -- knives, hinges, horns, etc. I also got what appears to be a launch kit. There is a roll of surgical tubing and a large spike to secure it to the ghround. Can anyone post how this system works?

SHe also had a fram with a 12 volt electric motor that had line on a reel. There was a foot switch to operate the motor. It looked like you could use it to launch a glider. ANyone ever seen anything like this?

TIA,

Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
thermaler
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: Newbie launcher questions

That item is a winch which is usually the best way to launch a sailplane. You would need to get a battery and there should be a turnaround for the line.
A turnaround is basically a stake with a pulley on it, the line goes in the bottom of the pulley and out through the top. For the Cumic your would tap the foot switch like a drummer taps the bass drum. Standing on the pedal WILL result in a dead Cumic.
As to the Cumic, if there is an option for building the 117" wing I would go that way. The bigger the plane the better it flies.

Joe
Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
bob95065

The turnaround is there.

What is a used launcher worth?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
thermaler
My Feedback: (46)

That would depend on what type it is. Again a picture will go a long way.

Joe
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Winches, new, cost over $500 and typically more.

Your surgical tube is a hi-start or an up-start depending on the length. Great way to launch a glider. If the rubber is good, you are all set for launching a plane. Take mesaurement and tell us the inside and outside diamaer of the tube and we can tell you what size plane it can launch.