Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Airtronics Cumic -- Need building advice-- Alerons or not?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Airtronics Cumic -- Need building advice-- Alerons or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
bob95065

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Cumic -- Need building advice-- Alerons or not?

I got a Airtronics Cumic kit NOS from a Craigslist ad for $25. I am going to begin assembling it next week while I recover from a hernia surgery.

The instructions show no ailerons and a polyhedral wing. The instructions state that you can build the wings with ailerons and no polyhedral wings. Which way should I go? I flew glow planes with ailerons 10 years ago and am used to using them. I know gliders are a different ball game so I thought I should ask here before I do something I may regret.

I have a computer radio that is capable of mixing. Would I be better off setting it up to use the flaps as ailerons? Should I just set it up for elevator, rudder and flaps and forget ailerons altogether?

Your advice is appreciated.

Bob
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Wake Turbulence

Default RE: Airtronics Cumic -- Need building advice-- Alerons or not?

If you flew power with ailerons, then I would build it flat with ailerons on the outer panels and flaps on the inner panels.
I would not use ailerons as flaps, you could tip stall and be too low to the ground to recover.
When you set up the aileron throws, you'll want more up than down. ( differential) Also use rudder mixing with the ailerons to help make coordinated turns.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery and good luck on your new bird.

Charlie
Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

I'd probably build it with the polyhedral wing. You'll ALWAYS have a need for a light lift thermal plane in your quiver, and theres no negatives to a 2 meter+ thermal plane. These planes are great, and will take the full size radio gear many fliers leave behind when they go to the high-end planes. 2 or 3 full size servos, a full size receiver, and the biggest battery you can fit (2000mah for those looong thermal flights) and youre good to go.

Build it, fly it, and start thinking about a dedicated 60" or 2 meter slope racer. That'll fill the medium to heavy wind niche. I view flying like golf: You don't play golf with one club- you have one for each condition. That's my excuse anyway..

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

My father had a Cumic with ailerons, this is the way to go. The Cumic is a little faster than some of the other poly birds out there, the ailerons make it a lot easier to fly. It will still thermal with the best of them.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 AM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

I'd build it with ailerons and flaps, so you could program a crow function. That would also allow you to add a reflex function if you think the Cumic airfoil would benefit from that.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM
bob95065

I built the plane with polyhedrial wings and no ailerons.

I was looking at the spoilers and realized I could use two micro servos (one on each spoiler) and use them as spoilers and ailerons. What do you guys think?