Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Dynaflite Talon Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 AM
KJMDES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Talon Forum

Once I figure out how to request it, I intend to lobby for a Talon Build Forum.

I think at this point, the Talon has been produced in sufficient quantities to justify a dedicated forum. At this juncture in history, the stock kit seems to be a suggestion; of what you might want to build with the parts inside. New electronics and power systems have given a lease-on-life to the kit, and allowed for some incredible creative efforts.

My motivation for this is simple. I get hundreds of emails a year concerning the stock Talon, SuperTalon conversion, electric conversions, etc. It's increasing, and I think it would be great to have a place for everyone to share their work, ideas and innovations.

It's an eclectic pursuit, and I know it's "Small Potatoes" in the grand scheme of things. In current speak, we don't even constitute a market. But what you all do represent; is that segment of society, whose creative imperative has some sway in the direction of your lives. Rather than just pushing the buttons, you want to make them. Some want to create new ones. Everyone wants to see something tangible, emerge from a pile of material.

What do you think?

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Talon Forum

These web based sites create sub forums and mmanufacturers forums all the time, I would think one or the other would be easy for them to set up for you Kevin.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
KJMDES

I'll keep checking on who to contact. Maybe I'm dense, but I'm still trying to find a link to someone in command. Maybe the moderator?

Cheers
kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 PM
1wds

This dedicated Talon forum sounds like a great idea. I have been a fan for a while. I have built one and I loved it (to death). I've got another on in the box, and I have had a set of plans enlarged 2x for a scratch build project. (How to get some laser cut ribs from a drawing?...). Keep up the groundwork.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
KJMDES

I sent a post to the suggestions forum

If you need the Talon conversion booklet. drop me an email at [email protected]

It has an alternate airfoil and tips on building.

Laser cutting? try this link http://www.laser-design-services.com/index.html
If they want a CAD file, direct them to me, and I'll upload what they need.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you'll find that a dedicated subforum here at RCU is based on someone sponsoring and paying significant money to support it. Otherwise we'd have to open up hordes of subforums for each popular design.

Instead of a subforum there's no reason you can't start a big Talon do it all thread that runs for lots of pages. It may fade off the first page from time to time but the search function is always there. In fact if there was enough support for such "superthreads" for various models then a sticky with links to the superthreads could be setup so folks could bring the thread back up easily. I'd be all in favour of making it easy for folks to find info about their models but frankly adding that many subforums would splinter the group forum way too much. It's my own feeling that our forum listings at RCU are already way too split up to find stuff easily or even to figure out where to post.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
KJMDES

Hard to argue the logic there. It's a massive forum. Still.......

I guess we can investigate other avenues. I was hoping that the connection between RCU and You-know-who, might have been enough to do it. Loyal customers, dedicated following, etc, etc. Then again, I've dealt with them long enough to know the score.

We'll keep pounding one way or another. If not RCU......

Thanks for the help

Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
BMatthews

Well, if you want to start up a superthread here then you could start by posting up a big sort of Talon FAQ thread and we could see how it flies... so to speak...
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Tell us a little about your avatar, the Super Talon EP. That will help generate some interest.

EJ
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
KJMDES

I'll work on the FAQ and see what enticements I can manage. Thanks. We may do this yet.

The SuperTalon is basically a 60 inch Talon. Depending on how you build it, you'll end up with a faster, more complex sailplane or EP Warm-Liner, than the original design.

As mentioned earlier, a booklet is available which outlines the modifications for either the stock Talon or Super. I ask that people send me an email to get the PDF. This is the only way I can track the number in use, and get updates to those on the group mailing list. Nothing commercial to it.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60910.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	802210  
Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A great idea, Kevin,

I'm all for it; either a separate forum or a superthread; whatever works.
As I mentioned in another thread my friend & I are both building Talons from the Dynaflite kit. One is stock & mine is 1/2 way to a SuperTalon.

Perhaps I should call mine TalonPlus.
It has a larger wingspan (55"), strengthened & elongated fuse, larger Vee tail, & provision for a removable 400 sized outrunner.

Lets keep the thread running,
Bob
Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
KJMDES

Someone will need to explain "SuperThread" to me.

What would be the best method to do this? How can we separate say, Slope design threads, from something like EP designs?

Does it matter to you how it organizes? Or do we just jump everything into the mix.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-12-2007, 04:21 PM
BMatthews

Superthread is just a name I coined above to indicate that it would be a long running multipage thread and sort of act like a central clearning house for a specific and relatively narrow topic such as this.

I could see similar "superthreads" for a lot of the other popular models such as Gentle Lady's, Spirits, etc. Sort of a FAQ that doesn't get pinned but that would ebb and flow with the intrest level of the moment. A pinned thread at the top of the forum listings would link to the various superthreads so folks could find them quickly and get caught up or provide new info. I think it might be a nice way to concentrate a lot of helpful data into a one stop shopping center sort of deal but without generating a lot of clutter at the top of the forum thread titles.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
KJMDES

Sounds good.

How do we proceed?

Is there a way to let interested parties know of it's existance?

I'm all for a clutter-free footprint

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
BMatthews

First off is to take the first step....

Write your heart out about the Talon in all it's various options and improvements. Add in links to other information sources about building, trimming and inflight shots for eye candy. Don't be afraid to add in links to past Talon related threads here at RCU as well. You're trying to create a one stop central shopping point for the fans. Post it up and when I see it (or drop me a PM with the thread link) it'll end up in the Superthread listing.

I'll post a general info thread about the concept and see if anyone else wants to jump in with some other models.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 AM
KJMDES

Cool. Thanks very much

Cheers
Kevin