Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

paint for Elapor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint for Elapor?

fellow sailplaners,

What kind of paint works best for the Elapor molded foam (a la the Easy Glider, Cularis)? I know that certain types of paint are not compatable with certain kinds of foam, and I don't want to see my Cularis get destroyed before I get a chance to do it. Anybody know what works?

Thanks in advance,

Papermache
Old 11-18-2007, 02:01 AM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: paint for Elapor?

The Elapor is tough! I have used several hobby-products, and none have done any harm. Remember you use CA and kicker to glue this material, and it is hard to find painting which is more aggressive
I use acryl spraypaint on all my elapor-birds, because it is cheap...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM
daveosoar

Go to your local Art/hobby store and get any water based Acrylic - brush or spray.
Daveosoar.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I used regular Krylon on my Easyglider.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Leslie Ward

I have only used H2O paint from ACE/TrueValue hardware. Works OK
Aloha, Les
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
wowie

I've used Rust-Oleum specialty paints (fluorescent paints of many colors) on my Cularis and have had no problems with the foam reacting in a negitive way. The fluorescent paints make the Cularis very, very vissible and that's real important to me. If painting, weigh the parts before and after to find out how much weight was added. It's very important to prime all parts before putting on the color top coats. The Elapor foam has some kind of waxie material on the surface, so sanding first and then adding the primer will give you a better chance for the paint to stay where you put it. After priming you must sand again with 220 grit followed by 400 grit which gives you a very smooth surface for your color coats. I've used Rust-Oleum paints on my Multiplex Twister and the paint has held up extreamly well and has not chiped or come off in any areas. I do however use clear packaging tape on the bottom to add strenght and protection against wear and tear. I've had about 20 flights with my Twister and the tape has yet to be replaced.