Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

st, Spain

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM
norcalflyer530

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st, Spain

I have moved from america to spain down near malaga on the coast, anyone out on here live around these parts, looking for people to slope with.. thanks
Oliver
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
roblej

Default RE: st, Spain

You will find people on this place on weekends:

http://www.geocities.com/club_a_mala...las.htm#ACCESO

good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in Jerez and still go there about every year. Not too far away is Algodonales. A great hill with faces in most directions, designated a national park for hang gliding. I get flights in when the hang gliders are down. Vejer used to be a favorite spot too. First two pix are Algodonales, third is looking out over the slope from Vejer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11048.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	840928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17096.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	840929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49961.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	840930  
Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
norcalflyer530

cheers for the info im gonna check it out soon as this crap weather dies out... been raining for the last 3 days anyway how come you moved from spain?
Oliver
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM
evan-RCU

I lived there from 1984-1987 in the military stationed at the Base Naval de Rota. I married there and my ex and children live in Olivares just outside Sevilla. I visit regularly and while it's great to visit I wouldn't be able to enjoy the same standard of living there that I can here. With pata negro and sherry, brandies, and cheeses available here there's even less reason to go there. Of course the living is different and you can't replace tha ambiance, but Spain has changed over the years, I guess in some ways for the better (roads) but in many ways not for the better. My kids will always be ther so I will always have a reason to return but I find my reasons to be fewer than before.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
norcalflyer530

i know what you mean, first thing i noticed since being here is the building code... or i should say the non building code, the village i live in has power cuts all the time, does no good for charging my tx and other things ya know, and since all my stuff is still on 110v thats even worse cuz i had to fork out a butt load on the transformer to covert my stuff... hhaha anyway thanks for all the info let me know when you come out next and we can go slope
Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
evan-RCU

Watch out for the 50 cycles to, it plays hell with things even if you have a voltage converter. So where in Malaga are you? There's some nice places up on the hills overlooking the stadium that remember and of course all sorts of places near the water all up and down the coast, where there's no houses which is rare now. The coast wasn't built up as much when I was there.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
KJMDES

Hi guys,
One of the best slopes on the planet is the west side of Vejer. About 25 kilometers west of Tarifa. Maybe 200 klics west of Malaga. It is amazing.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
KJMDES

Just caught Evans mention of Vejer. Still there and no restrictions, or houses to speak of. Just a few old windmills. Its worth the visit

Cheers
Kevin
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: KJMDES

Just caught Evans mention of Vejer. Still there and no restrictions, or houses to speak of. Just a few old windmills. Its worth the visit

Cheers
Kevin
The west end of the ridge (it faces north) is now wind electric generators. They are scarry to fly near, the woosh... woosh... woosh. Anyway yes, it's one of the best slope and hang gliding spots on earth, great lift, good landing zone, and a great view. The lift is really unlimited and extends way out so you can fly real big fast stuff there. I stick to smaller 40-50" rockets now but back when I flew there every weekend one of my favorites was a modified heavy Freedom. With the new composits it would be a major reason to move back there...
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
KJMDES

I may have my directions screwed up. The place I fly is the ridge with the two old windmills. Just as you describe with unlimited lift and fetch, but no new mills.

Cheers
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93368.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	842257  
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
evan-RCU

Thats one of the ones on the east end of the ridge closer to the town, the generators are on the west end, to your left in the picture about a mile down the road.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM
KJMDES

Just call me 180 McDonald
Cheers
Kevin
Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 PM
evan-RCU

It's great to talk to someone that knows the place, the hamon, brandy, where Jerz is, and what a Talon is.. Cheers!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
evan-RCU

I went to Google earth and for 25 years I thought the slope faced north, it faces east. You where on the north end near the town in the picture right? Do you have any more pics?