Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Riser 100 vs. Spirit 100

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
dogismycopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riser 100 vs. Spirit 100

Does anyone have experience with both these planes? The Spirit is about $20 more. Is it worth the money from a building or flying perspective? I intend to keep the controls simple (RES) and stay under a strict budget using as many leftover parts from my spare box as possible. I've built a few airplanes and flown a glider a few times, but I am far from proficient. Any insights (or other suggestions under $90) would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 AM
kwmtrubrit

Default RE: Riser 100 vs. Spirit 100

I have the Riser and love it, easy build, a strong wing and flys very, very well. Unfortunately I can't respond about the Spirit.

Keith
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Are you set on the either one of the two? What type of flying are you planning on doing? Do you want the standard class wing (100"), or would a 2 meter ship do the same thing for you? Are you set on the price of what you are looking for?

The riser is a good choice, Spirit also. But ther are a few others out there too. You could look at a Vista or Fling 2M from Tower hobbies, Dynaflight Day Dream from Tower Hobbies, Any of rthe Bird series from Skybench. Majestic from Laser Arts? Soverign from the same. 2 X 6 from House of Balsa. Oly II from Skybench. There are more out there depending on what you want to do. You could do a search on the site or read thru some of the posts and gather some ideas.

just a few ideas

tink
Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advantage to the Spirit 100 is that it can be built as either RES or flaps & ailerons. It comes with ribs & hardware for both wings. If you're going to build RES and are watching your pennies, I'd go with the Riser. I've never built one, but SIG makes excellent kits and I'm sure this one follows suit. I have the full-house Spirit 100 and it's still going strong after 5 seasons on the Indiana Dunes. Actually, either one would do it for you.

papermache
Old 01-06-2008, 04:24 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

If you are going to go RES, then I'd say get the Riser. The only thing that you would give up to the Spirit is the ability to build a full house wing.

Ray Hayes also sells the Olympic II (of Airtronics fame) and it is a great flyer and a good choice as well. It will be more expensive than the Sig kit, but will have very good materials in the kit. The Spirit 100 will be the heavier of the two you have mentioned and heavier than the Oly as well. It does have a LOT of wing area. I have built the Spirit 100 and it is a good plane.

You really can't go wrong here, they all will give you a good flying plane. If you decide to build the Spirit, I have some information that would be of benefit to you regarding the wing joiner.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
glowhead

I Love the OLY II. I built my from scratch (plans from RCM) and solicited ideas from RCM. I added spoilers. The hang time is great but is slow to move around the field. Developed in the 1970's, still a champion in 2002? 2003? it was recent. I usually stay in the 2 meter class but I flew and Oly II all last summer. (check out Whyte Wings for OLY II kits). The bird of time is also a winner but the arf version weighs in alot more. The Goldberg Sophisticated Lady Kit 78.3" if your willing to drop the wingspan. Comming in at $35 for the kit (towerhobbies.com), It is buget minded and is really, really a graet flier!. Sorry I got off track. All of these planes have stood the test of time. My plane is pink at my wife's request... It is easy to see also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61241.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	881251  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM
kwmtrubrit

Have you looked at the Oly III at Skybench? That is supposed to be a great plane, in fact I was looking at getting one but was given a Mystery Ship to build. More than enough to keep me busy for a while.

Keith