Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

hobbylobby Jim B 1.5M HLG ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 12:11 AM
MDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbylobby Jim B 1.5M HLG ?

Anyone fly this one, sutable for a beginner and light slope ?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jimb.htm

MDM
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Wingnut-RCU

MDM,

I haven't flown one but...with what you did to your zaggi, are you sure we can trust you? Might want to add floats.

(see post "First crash of the year!")

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-06-2002, 12:38 AM
MDM
My Feedback: (2)

It (wet zaggi) flew the rest of the day, just the switch shorted and would not turn off.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:22 AM
Chopper01

I'm still a newbie to the soaring world but 13.5oz seems rather heavy to me for this size of HLG. Most seem to be around 10-11oz or less, but I've never flown one so maybe I should let somebody else comment....really sharp looking ship, though.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Wingnut-RCU

MDM,

You know that I'm just jealous. Zaggis can land anywhere with little or no damage. Can't do that with my FG fuse ships!

It would probably work fine for a light slope ship under light lift conditions. I fly a 1.8M Carbon D-Light on the slope. I works when most others can't fly but doesn't like winds much over 10 to 12 mph.

I use the slope lift to get up to Hi-start altitude and then come back over the field and look for thermals. If none are found just cruise back into the lift and go up again. No Hi-start to set up or take down and plenty of flying time.

Just be careful of rotors behind the slope when landing. These light ships can get tossed around easily. Land as far back as you can and directly into the wind.

I put white electrical tape on the bottom/front of the FG fuse to help with scatches. The gelcote can get chipped on landings if you don't have a grass surface. Now if I could only find a nice slope with a large grass park behind it to land on!!!

When the wind picks up I pull out the Sokol (molded Hobie Hawk copy) and have a ball. Thats the one in my avatar to the left.

Regards,

Steve
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
skybuster97

Default RE: hobbylobby Jim B 1.5M HLG ?

steve,
how did you balance your Sokol..I've got a few flts on mine..usually can't find enough wind.. Thx B