Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Hunting for South West Mo. slopes

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hunting for South West Mo. slopes

Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting for South West Mo. slopes

Oh my, I do think I have the slope bug[>:]
I have found a couple of areas that look promising. Any of the dams near by and a nice clear set of hills East of Ava, Mo. on 76 good for N or S wind. A hill just south of the Hwy 65 and 14 intersection for N or NW winds I have sloped the Gentle Lady on this one time. I flew over 20 minutes on a hand toss. ANY one else slope out this way??
Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hunting for South West Mo. slopes

Heres how I do it. Figure out the prevailing winds in your area (we get primarily NE and NW). Go onto Google Earth and lay the over about 45 degrees, and look at suspect areas.

Other sources are Terraserver, and you can usually get contour maps online too. I'd probably start with land you can easily get access to, such as BLM land, county and state parks.

You'll also want to get some good weather links, and keeping an eye on the barometer doesnt hurt- if it's falling the flying is about to get good.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
OzMo

waz up,
I have peeked at google earth and found some local stuff I want to see up close. I drive a bunch for work and range 150 miles somtimes from Springfield, Mo. so I can eyeball some of the spots and mark them in my atlas that has GPS coordinates. If I actually find these flyable I'll post a list. [8D] I am gonna have to find a couple of good ones to get some learnin in.[>:]
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
NoelGStL

I wanna slop I wanna slope... well maybe I need to finish my airplane first.. Building a Sofie Lady, gonna be perrty!! I live in North St Louis county, gotta few parks and a great Turf farm (if your a member) but thinking I might wanna try slope one or twice sometime, just for kicks. Well gotta go pay the bills so I can build for frills... Have a great day.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get to K.C. alot, actually Granview, and I have a sloper I carry in a case when I go on some of my trip to other work locations. If you find a good spot let me know.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 AM
OzMo

I am finding a lot of small slopes suitable for planes such as an Alula or other mini sloper. [8D]
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good spot to me is a minimum of 100' altitude, good slope, 70 deg or more. Grass LZ. No hiking to get to it. Any like that yet? If you find them give the coordinates to punch into my google earth OK?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
OzMo

none quite that good but the search is new still. I will search via google earth and look at some of the local rivers.
Except for the one NNW facingslope I have flown on, its about 115' with one lone tree and grasstop and bottom.
You do have to jump a fence though. The two large bulls in that field did not even get up when I flew there last[X(]
Just spoted another nice set of hills between Monet and Crane Mo. grass from top to bottom, a nice Southern facing set of three hills.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 PM
OzMo

work has kept me from flying however it has let me look for sites as I drive all over SW Mo.
The area around Table Rock Dam just south of Branson Mo looks great, the dam may not be legal to fly on, but the earth build ups on both sides are long and grassy and should not cause any problems. Table Rock itself is a geological formation Near the dam and has a steep grass slope to a 90 degree vertical finishand a flat top. I would think a 48" wing would feel quite at home on either of these.
a closer look on Google Earth shows it as a good SW exposure. and the dam berms as East exposure.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM
OzMo

Hi,
Also finding a large number of gravel quarries some in operation some abandoned. Quarries often have nice hills or small sheer cliffs that you could walk around to retrieve. PERMISION would be required on any private property. (I got edited for joking about sneaking in[:@] not a good idea or a funny one it would appear[sm=angel_smile.gif]) the power plant and dam people might be willing to allow occasional access. Picking up trash at these sites can help a lot with owners...shows appreciation and respect. I am sure there biggest concern is liability for injury and vandalism/ theft would be a close second. Can't say that I blame 'em either.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
OzMo

Found some nice steep pasture areas south of Aurora Mo and more nice ones further down S 39 hwy towards Shell Knob. The terain in this area is almost as "mountainous" as we get in the Ozark Mountain Range.
also found a nice little abandoned rock Quarry with great southern exposure forming a nice bowl. an Alula type glider would be perfect here.