Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

How well does Real Flight G3.5 simulate gliders?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

How well does Real Flight G3.5 simulate gliders?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How well does Real Flight G3.5 simulate gliders?

ORIGINAL: Mode One

You want fun?!? Try the Mistral or the Shuriken Slopper on your G-3!
Yeah! Unbelievable speed! I love flying that Shuriken, but I have no idea how to land that darn thing. I can manage O.K. with the other gliders.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ability to customize the wind direction and speed as you're flying makes soaring the sim a lot of fun. I've soared the 60 pound Zlin 526 and a T6 (and several others) by keying in the wind speed and direction needed to support them. Haven't gained over 6000 feet yet though.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Mode One

I wish they had an aero tow or hi-start/winch feature that would allow some thermal flying with the G-3.5 simulator. Do any of the simulators have thermal flying as a feature?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
IL2windhawk

I wish they had an aero tow or hi-start/winch feature that would allow some thermal flying with the G-3.5 simulator. Do any of the simulators have thermal flying as a feature?
You got me wondering, so i did a little research.
Check out what I found!

http://www.granitegliderguiders.org/...malSoaring.htm

Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Mode One

IL2windhawk, Did you down load the Thermaling aspect to G-3 and if so, how does it work?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 AM
IL2windhawk

Haven't yet. Plan to soon. I'll let you know what i find.

I don't think their is any download required.
I believe it's just a tutorial to setup your own thermals.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM
torgust

A good slope can sustain just about anything. Here in Norway we have plenty of good slopes. Sometimes when we slope in 50 mph we joke about Rx'ing a piano an throw it off

In my opinion G 3.5 isn't good, but just about good enough to get an idea on what slope soaring is all about. The real thing on the other hand.... Given you try on an OK slope you will have an amazing experience. Later you will crave for more. I guarantee it

For inspiration You can take a look at theese videos: http://www.aitel.hist.no/~torgust/mo...y/video/slope/
I have downloaded them to my personal site from some guys in Wales (UK). Their website here: http://www.swsa.co.uk
They have amazing slopes, and handles their glider extremely well. And remember,,, You need to try this if you have access to a slope

Enjoy
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
mred33

The sims are ok to play with, but not very real in a lot of things they do.. Take an F-4 jet. The real jet, not the prop job. Do a figure 9 on takeoff and leave the throttle at 100% after you crash and see what happens. Not real at all or even close. Those things are made to keep the video kids intertained and to teach you some flying, but quite a few things they do are not real at all. Having said that, there are a LOT of planes that will fly on a good slope if the wind is right. If it has any kind of glide at all, it will fly on a slope. If it glides like a brick with the enging off, it may very well crash unless you have a very high wind.
Ed
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
IL2windhawk

IL2windhawk, Did you down load the Thermaling aspect to G-3 and if so, how does it work?
Works great!!!

Follow to the tutorial in the link above. It takes about 5 minutes to setup.
Once everything is done, you have to hunt for the the thermals a little bit.
You can tell when you hit one because it registers on the wind speed gauge.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 PM
angel-fly

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

I've found the simulators to be sort of OK for stalls and basic flight aerodynamics but that the real thing is much more involving. If you had a good time on the simulator then you'd LOVE the real thing and the speeds, and the flying through the dragon's grasp as the wind currents try to drag your model away if you venture into the spots you know you were told to stay away from.

I've only had the opportunity to slope fly one time where the conditions were awsome but that one time hooked me and that day will live with me for years to come.

If you're lucky enough to have a spot close by they DO IT! ! ! ! ! It's like power flying but in a much more magical way.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

with the Aerofly Professional Deluxe, you can adjust wind direction, wind speed, thermals, turbulence, and many more parameters. My wing man and I also do aerotows with it, which is nice practice...