Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Quicksilver glider

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 03:03 AM
Big_3Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quicksilver glider

Hi

Does anyone have some info on a glider called Quicksilver? For what i have heard it similar to the dynaflite Talon. Is it still made? Pics?

PR
Old 04-19-2003, 07:58 AM
bjaffee

The Quicksilver was a sloper from the 80's, but not really comparable to the Talon, in that it was a bigger, heavier, faster (I think) model.

From an old NSP catalog:
The Quicksilver was made by Douglass aircraft. It had a 50" wingspan, weighed around 30oz, and used an SD606 airfoil. There was both a balsa and a fiberglass fuselage available (I've only ever seen the glass version). I believe it had a balsa sheeted foam-core wing.

There was also a little brother to the Quicksilver that had a 43" wing span.

These planes are no longer produced, AFAIK.

I don't have any pictures of these planes, but they had a pretty conventional layout: A rounded streamlined fuselage, low mounted wing with a tapered leading edge, and a swept back vertical fin. Nice, clean, airplanes....sorta the classic sloper look.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:19 PM
DBaya

I've made several copies of the Quicksilvers with all kinds of changes. Been flying them for years!It was a very versitle sloper. I could fly it in minimal lift to 40 mph. I liked its ability to penitrate in heavy winds and speck out. It had a relatively low aspect ratio so the roll rate was great for a non wingeron. It would outfly the smaller Talon because it could carry more energy. It also had a thinned sd6060 airfoil 8%. I wish I could post some pictures. How do you reduce pictures to 70kb
Old 05-13-2003, 03:23 AM
Big_3Dan

Hello Dbaya

Sure i would love to see some pics of this glider! To compress them you must use a photo editing or viewer program like ACDSEE and use the compression tool. In ACDSEE you must use save as and then it will give you the options to compress the image. Recently i bought a Ninja glider. Read a bout it and it sounds like it flies well. I'm on the process of building it now but i don;t know when i'll finish it. I have some kits thta i have to finish and some more to build But i'm looking forward to seeing this glider fly..
Old 05-14-2003, 04:23 AM
DBaya

Got the pictures compressed so here is my first Quicksilver. I think it was made in 1990. It has the basic outline. Fuse was balsa and fiberglass. Original fuse was lite ply poplar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78432_35156.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	43437  
Old 05-14-2003, 04:26 AM
DBaya

I think this was number 3. It had kevlar wings. Made the vertical tail different. Made the fuse skinner for less air resistance.

Name:	78434_35156.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	43438  
Old 05-14-2003, 04:30 AM
DBaya

here is my number 2 and 4 version along with an RNR Genisis and a Jaguar with the same wing only swept

Name:	78435_35156.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	43439  
Old 05-14-2003, 04:40 AM
DBaya

Here is my latest version. Had it flying on the slope with a unbelievable 6mph wind. It had a all glass wing over blue foam. Wing was streached to 62inches. Crashed it in front of my dad last week. How embarrassing week: . Luckly I have a new one in the works! Oh the Ninja is pretty good. Airfoil is a little thick. You can round out the body, tips ect to make it more clean.

Name:	78437_35156.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	43440  
Old 05-14-2003, 04:43 AM
DBaya

Thanks PR for helping me post the Pictures!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Big_3Dan

Dbaya

Thanks for the pics! Those look great! How complicated is building one form scratch? basic cosntruction? I just bought a ninja. I haven't finished i yet looking forward to see how it flies on the slope. By the way we seem to be the first to pick up the slope fever here in PR since we don't know of anybody else doing RC slope soaring in PR right now. And we have gone to a lot of clubs here in PR. And thermal gliders are something extremly rare to see since a lot of people claim we don't have thermals!! (little do they know!!) I'm going to try and make a webpage of our group and slope soaring to try and expand the sport in PR. We have and extreme variety of cliffs, slopes mountain tops and all kinds of posible sites to fly many of this overlooking the sea. Well thanks for the pics DBaya!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:45 AM
DBaya

Its not really hard to construct. I like making the fuse from balsa, plywood. I carve it out. Then glass it. I will have to show you a sample later. The wings are foam with and covered with balsa or glass or whatever you would like.

We have a quite a few sites here in California. I seem to fly at the same spot. We did run around one day to visit a bunch of other hills and slopes. Its very interesting to meet others who fly. There are so many different planes for different types of slope soaring. Good luck with the Ninja!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
CHOCOFAN

Default RE: Quicksilver glider

Hey! dude where do you fly in P.R., do you have expireance with glider's? I'm thinking of getting one my self mabe you could give me a hand with my Talon. I was planning on launching it off my trainer.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Big_3Dan

Default RE: Quicksilver glider

Chocofan,

We do some slope soaring in Isabela in front of the beach. We have 3 spots that we use the most...a friend of ours here in the club has a talon looks awsome in the air! Best way to fly it is on the slope..if you are in juncos you should probably find a place there. Last time i went there i saw you guys had a lot of mountains and cliffs... Do you fly slope over there in Juncos? We have a friend over there that flies 3d with us from time to time...loooong trip form juncos to Isabela....but hey send a msg we always look forward to hearing from anybody else on the isalnd that flies slope soarers as there aren't many people it seems!