Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Piggy back cradle launcher

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piggy back cradle launcher

HI, I just bought one of the servo activated piggy back style cradle launchers and was wondering if anybody had any tips on using them? I am building a SkyBench Big Bird.

Will a Sig LT40 with a good running 46 piggy back a Big Bird?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 AM
rcted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piggy back cradle launcher

Hi, I had one of these launchers, and used it to carry and launch a Sig Riser. It worked well after a few tweeks. First of all, use a high torque servo. I used a Futaba 148, and it wouldn't release it in the air with a load on the wing. Second, re-enforce the frame. I used 4-40 threaded rod and brass tubing, with a nut on each end. It tends to flex if you don't. I also glued hardwood blocks over the holes the release rods go through. After drilling holes in the blocks, I adjusted the servo travel so the rod ends are flush with the surface of the frame. Without thew blocks, the rods will come out of their holes. These things are allot of fun. One other thing to remember, when you're releasing the glider, be sure and cut the throttle before you hit the switch to release. I forgot, and it cost my son his Riser. Good luck.