Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Olympic 650/Gentle Lady

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
sy184

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olympic 650/Gentle Lady

Hi, recently I bought a copy od Sailplane and Soaring Manual by Al Doig. As you may know he reccomends the Olympic 650 as a first beginners model.
I was seriously thinking about building this as my first RC glider, but then I looked on this excellent forum and other websites and the Gentle Lady comes out on top every time.
My question is, which is better, Olympic 650 or Gentle Lady.?

Stephen.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Olympic 650/Gentle Lady

I think you can get the GL kits today.
Don't about the Oly 650.
The 650 is a slightly higher performer, with a better wing.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

SkyBench.com has the Olys. The GL is a super floater but the Oly will penetrate so it will be a better thermal hunter. I started with a GL.
However I would go with an Oly as they are just more versatile. both build easily good Luck
Look at the skybench.com Lil Bird 2m also
Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Built a Oly 650 years ago, never did build a GL. Have on for the other half to build, since she wants to learn. Was able to get two 60 foot circles with a hand catch for starters. Was excellent off the hi start.
Had better penetration then most for this size. Would be a matter of choice for which one you would prefer. Good luck!

tink
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
HankTurner

Stephen,

I've had both, and while the OLy 650 isn't a bad choice, the Gental Lady is lighter and a better choice for begginners. I also believe that because it is lighter, it tends to handle rough landings better. Carl Goldberg was a genius, and the G.L. is a masterpiece. I've built several of them and always have one handy for calm days, or on the slope when amost nothing else will fly. On light days they'll hold their own at any duration contest. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the G.L., but I wouldn't recommend the Sophisticated Lady, as it just a heavier, dressed-up version of the G.L..

Good Luck.