Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Airtonics Olympic 99 kit thoughts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Airtonics Olympic 99 kit thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Larry F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtonics Olympic 99 kit thoughts

Hello,
I have been trying to locate an Airtronics Olympic 99 kit for quite some time now, and have finally located one (actually my wife did) online up for auction. I would like to find out your thoughts on the kit, and what price I should expect to pay. I had one in 1970 and had many, many hours of enjoyment out of it, until one day it got into such a strong thermal we lost it out of sight, never seen again.
Please give me your thoughts as soon as possible, since I only have a little more than a day to try for it.

Regards,
Larry
Old 04-24-2003, 12:20 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default kit

Check out White Wings I think that is the company that now makes it. Updates have been made to the kit. And the price will be better and the kit will be new.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:24 AM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Olympic 99 was my first r/c plane. At the time, it was considered the trainer of all trainers - you could almost walk faster than it flew, hands-off stable, gentle stall, easy to maneuver, 2-channel simplicity.

It's highly-cambered NACA 6409 airfoil and low wing loading make it appropriate only for calm thermal flying or nearly dead-air sloping, since it won't penetrate for @*%#.

As a trainer plane, IMO the Olympic's only drawback compared to the best (foamie) trainers today is that it's a fully built-up crunchie, i.e. a beginner will pay for his flying mistakes. As a nostalgia classic, you can't go wrong.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:15 AM
kingbee

Larry,

The Oly 99 is a great piece of nostalgia. Not only was it a great trainer, it won more than it's share of contests back in the early '70s. As has been mentioned, it is a very slow flyer, especially by today's standards. But what a nice slow flyer it is. Save it for those calm summer days, and remember what R/C soaring was like back then. It's a time machine.

The kit was Airtronic's first. Like all the kits that followed, it was superb; it would compare well to some of today's kits even. You almost hated to mess the kit up by building it.

The Whyte Wings re-release mentioned was the Oly 2, not the original 99. Skybench is now selling the "2", and Dream Catcher sells plans for the "99", but not a kit.

I'm also watching the kit on auction, not to buy but out of curiosity. I have a 99 kit myself that I've been considering selling, so I'm curious how high that one will go. They are getting pretty rare.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Larry F

Default Olympic 99

Hello,
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it I am just wondering, what should I expect to have to pay for it? From the looks of kit, the inside of the kit is untouched.

Larry
Old 04-25-2003, 01:27 PM
BillHarris

On an collecotr's item, you pay what you pay. It depends on what the market will bear.

I lucked out about 4 years ago and bought a couple of old sailplanes at an estate sale. One was a Windfree, the other was an Oly99, both built in the early '70's. I was planning to cut the nose on the larger glider and electrify it, but I noticed the undercambered wing and the symmetrical stab and decided that I had something unique. I checked and asked around and found out it was an Oly99.

I ended up restoring both of these classics and fly them at Nostalgia meets.

Skybench sells a new kit of the Windfree and I recall that Dreamcatcher may have _plans_ for the Oly99. I plan to build a "new"
Oly and Windfree and save my antiques for nostalgia events.
I would love to also build an updated Oly and Windfree with modern carbon spars and an airfoil that can penetrate and fly them in RES events.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to scratch build one, I bet RCM still has plans for it. Check it out, the Oly II is one great plane!

Jerry
Old 04-29-2003, 01:53 PM
BillHarris

>the Oly II is one great plane!

The Oly II is a different critter from the Oly 99!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Tom Gressman

Default Oly 99 and Oly II

RAy Hayes at Skybench Aerotech sells a beautiful laser kit of the Oly II.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OOps, Bill ya caught me!

Jerry
Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Airtonics Olympic 99 kit thoughts

Plans are avalible again for the origanal Olympic 88-99 I just purchased a set from the link Below

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...Yes&Quantity=1

Richard Browning