Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Spray painting an Easy Glider???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spray painting an Easy Glider???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 AM
jawsmon
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray painting an Easy Glider???

I have an Easy Glider that is constructed from Elapor foam. What kind of spray paint can I use that won't destroy the plane?

Jawsmon
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Photopilot

Default RE: Spray painting an Easy Glider???

Krylon is what was recommended to me by the manufacturer. Someone told me they used just regular spray paint and it worked fine. I started painting mine yesterday, and so far it looks good. I will pass on what I did so you can learn from my mistakes.

I used masking tape to get sharp lines. then covered the rest of the areas with tape and newspaper to prevent overspray. I then sprayed 3 light coats with 15 minuted inbetween. Looks great so far. Make sure you press down well on the edges of the tape to ensure a tight bond. I neglected this and got some paint seeping under the tape lines in some spots.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
jawsmon

I heard of guys using this method but I have been a little sketical because it's 'foam'. I have very limitied experience working with anything other than styrofoam and that stuff just disolves when ht by spray paint. I dont' want to ruin a plane before it has a chance to go flying.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 PM
jawsmon

I gave it a try and so far it has worked great. I lightly sanded the surfaces to remove mold release agent and to give it a little texture for the paint to adhere to. Two light coats of spray enamel and waa-la.

This is why I like this forum. Nothing beats experience.

Photopilot, You gave me the confidence I needed to move forward.

Thanks