Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Tell us about your glider club or flying group

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tell us about your glider club or flying group

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tell us about your glider club or flying group

Whether you are a member of an AMA chartered club or part of a bunch of glider guiders who enjoy flying together, tell us about your club or flying group.

Where do you fly?

How many people in the group or club?

Thermal, slope, DLG, electric gliders? What do you fly?

Do you fly models other than gliders?

I will start it off.

==================================

THE LONG ISLAND SILENT FLYERS
WWW.LISF.ORG

We are an AMA chartered club of about 65 members who fly thermal soaring gliders at a field in Syosset, Long Island, New York. Our field is located in a nature preserve owned by Nassau County. There are no wet fuel planes permitted. Our membership spans Long Island, New York City, New Jersey and Westchester County. I believe we have had members from Connecticut at times too.

While the club is primarily a glider club we also admit members with parkflyer type planes which we see as trainers or as being compatible with a glider field. Many of our members start on parkflyers, then advance to gliders over time. I was one of these.

At our field you will see people flying from hi-starts, winches or tossing HLGs and DLGs in there air. Many of our members also fly electric gliders.

While not technically a club activity, many of us also enjoy slope soaring off the cliffs that overlook some of the Long Island beaches.

In addition to our own club's activities our club's monthly contests, The Long Island Silent Flyers is a member of the Eastern Soaring League www.flyesl.com which is a competition TD league. There are clubs that are members of the league spanning from Massachusetts to Virginia.

If you are a glider guider in the NY area, why not get in touch with us.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
SoarLA45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tell us about your glider club or flying group

We are a loose non registered group in Lima, Peru. We are about 34 members, and all of us fly sailplanes. The best pilots fly Fox gliders and F3BS,ASWs, that kind of planes. Most people fly sloper Zagis and larger gliders, but no many people have started to fly foamies and hotliners.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM
daveosoar

I am a member of the Christchurch and District MFC on the South coast of the UK. We have approx 65 members and fly slope from local cliffs and the inland 'downs' so called because they are grass covered HILLS! We also go flat field from hi-starts (bungees over here) and winches on local recreation areas and from farmers fields - when we can get consent. Leccy powered gliders are also allowed except on the downs and the Local Council lets us fly any leccy powerd plane on 2 sites BUT NO IC engines!
My hanger contains: 2x 2M gliders. 4x slopers, 3x PSS, 1x 3.5M mouldie F3B, and 3x sport scale elec power planes - P51, Spitfire and a Sopwith Camel (plus a few more waiting in the workshop)
The only down side is that the membership is getting older but we are planning an open day at our May monthly meeting, in the local pub of course, where we will show all our models, have a video show and hope to attract some interest, especially from the younger attendees.
If you get to the UK give us a call. CADMFC uk will find us,
Daveosoar.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
aeajr

Meetings at the Pub. I like that!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
daveosoar

Where else?We are discussing the UK!! The pub is the only place where one can drink real ale AND talk about what you should have done to win. There are also some customers who dont fly models (a few of which include the other gender) who call us the Biggles Club but when their kids arrive - fortunatley in the non licensed areas - the garden- we cant swat them fast enough, but we do encourage them to try our toys. So far 4 juniors this year.
Daveosoar.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
daveosoar

Ed, come and join us if you can afford our ridiculous pricing. get in touch on our web site - CDMFC. org. uk
Daveosoar.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
aeajr

If I ever make it over to the UK, I will definately look you up. But don't hold any launch spots for me. :-)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Freewind

Ed,

We have an AMA charted club with about 20 or so members. It is almost exclusively gas/glo, but electrics are gaining some ground. I am the only sailplane pilot, mostly electric but occasionally drag my hi-start out and put my venerable balsa sleds up.

I think there is really more interest in sailplanes than most admit. My planes receive quite a bit of attention when I'm flying. I think a few may be willing to try sailplanes, but for now, I am the "Lone Ranger". I like the idea of logging more time in two to three flights than the "zoomies" get in a week! I am also the only one who often flies sitting on a chair <big grin>.

David
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
aeajr

If you are a sailplane pilot in a club of electrics, you might find this article interesting. It is about how to build the sailplane population in your club. It referes to an article I wrote for RC Soaring Digest.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833723