Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Building the glider flyer population in your club.

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Building the glider flyer population in your club.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Building the glider flyer population in your club.

The thread is being created in conjunction with an article that appears in the April edition of RC Soaring Digest.

This is the opening paragraph from that article:

If your soaring club has a healthy membership and is not looking for new members then this discussion will not be of interest to you. But if your numbers are shrinking, if there don’t seem to be any new glider pilots joining, then read on. There may be a tidbit of assistance buried somewhere in the discussion that follows.

The topic is around approaches for building glider membership in your club or flying group.

What methods or approaches do you use to help new members to enter into soaring?

Ours is a soaring club primarily, but 90% of the new members are small electric pilots. The article discusses an approach to help those new members learn to fly their small electrics and then to help introduce them to gliders.

The April 2008 issue of RC Soaring Digest
is now available for downloading from the RCSD web site

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com

The issue highlights are now available at http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/highlights.html

The article that this discussion references starts on Page 47.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the glider flyer population in your club.

Hi aeajr,
I was surfing over at RCgroups thinking I need to buy a high start both to share at the club and to practice RES on. I will fly a Big Bird XL (its still in the box). I want a high start that is commonly used at competitions so I can get used to it. I know a lot of competitions will use winches. I cant afford that yet. I can swing a good high start though. I have looked on Hose Monster but don't know which is best. This will be one thing to encourage new glider flyers as well as get a few old gliders dusted off I hope.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
aeajr

I would suggest the Hosemonster 3M 100 feet rubber with 500 feet line.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
OzMo

Thanks aeajr,
There seems to be little organized Glider stuff in the SW Mo. area but several of the guys have 2M stuff. maybe a well flown thermal plane can stoke up some excitment...Now who can I get to fly this thing that well? Hmmm......
Hose Monster 3M 100' rubber only $117.00 with shp and Ins.
118" Big Bird XL $150.00
500' launch into good lift ...priceless[8D]
Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
daveosoar

Let me tell you that Hosemonster looked after us in the UK. Hi-start tubing (bungee in Europe)is hard to find so one email to HM got a 3M unit delivered to us in 4 days at a price, including shipping, that was compatable with the best European quotes for a lesser product. Look after them, we need suppliers like that.
Daveosoar
Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 PM
OzMo

Daveosoar,
Can do! As I understand it, this is the best rubber out there with the good UV protection. I have been flying some slope and thermal duaration on a friends simulator. Getting anxious to fly the real thing.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: aeajr

The thread is being created in conjunction with an article that appears in the April edition of RC Soaring Digest.

This is the opening paragraph from that article:

If your soaring club has a healthy membership and is not looking for new members then this discussion will not be of interest to you. But if your numbers are shrinking, if there don’t seem to be any new glider pilots joining, then read on. There may be a tidbit of assistance buried somewhere in the discussion that follows.

The topic is around approaches for building glider membership in your club or flying group.

What methods or approaches do you use to help new members to enter into soaring?

Ours is a soaring club primarily, but 90% of the new members are small electric pilots. The article discusses an approach to help those new members learn to fly their small electrics and then to help introduce them to gliders.

The April 2008 issue of RC Soaring Digest
is now available for downloading from the RCSD web site

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com

The issue highlights are now available at http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/highlights.html

The article that this discussion references starts on Page 47.
Gents,

This thread was not created to discuss hi=starts it was created to discuss methods of expanding the glider population in your club. Can we get back to the topic of the thread?

Have you read the article?

Do any of you have a contribution to make to this topic?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
OzMo

Yup OK errrr Sorry.
One good way is to have the available equipment to launch with handy for those new flyers that don't have access to a ....BUNGEE

Let prospective flyers fly on a buddy box or high up ..its easier to hand off a radio for a glider that is up a 100' or more up.

Loan old glider out to someone who is interested. if its colecting dust and you don't care.....

Get a little fun stuff going like how many can we get up at once.

Late day hand launching ( keeps 'em close enough to see) we used to hand launch the 2M GLs and try to skim the top of a hay bale and make it back.

Hand catch glider on return

Spot landings are always fun

All up then follow the leader... ok so we used to fly out and back and try to pass between the double strands of phone wires behind the pitts...only on glider night.

Have a GLIDER NIGHT. If enough guys are flying some clubs specify a day for gliders only.

Have a glider fun fly and publisize the beejeebers out of it with flyers at hobbys shops invite local medias ( they respond well to charity events)

Contact your local Big Brother or similar org and let 'em know your club will do some stick time with the kids and Big Brothers.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
aeajr

There are lots of fun games you can play with gliders.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
daveosoar

I replied to your request in your OTHER thread!! But you are still welcome in the lovely green and pleasant land of the Southern UK
Daveosoar.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
OzMo

Oh Yeah,
I forgot to mention I bought a cradle for piggy back launching from a trainer. This will allow glider flying without a high start or winch line to interfere with the glow flying. Our field is not to busy so both can co-exist and we double the camaraderie. Gotta love a cheap Eba^ deal!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 PM
OzMo

BUMP
Well after reading this post way back when I did some of the things to promote glider flying.
This year we had our second annual ALL GLIDERS FUN FLY with around 8 pilots and quite a few spectators. Growth in the glider ranks has been steady. We started a Tue AM glider gathering that has been a moderate success. Funky weather being our biggest problem. Several long standing members have demothballed gliders and a few have built new. Quite by coincidence 3 new members have joined this late summer and all are glow and glider flyers. One even brought out a winch! We have not had one previously. This guy flew his first GLOW plane today. He had only flown gliders before. Both are fun of course SO just a little update for the fun of it.
Good lift!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
aeajr

The Parkzone Radian has been creating a new interest in gliders among parkflyer pilots.   I got one myself and I just love it.  Get a Radian at your field and soon you will have people thermal hunting on a regular basis.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
OzMo

Hi Ed,
There are a couple of Radians around. I have had a chance to do the pre maiden flight checks on a couple and have a little stick time on them to set trims etc. I LIKE 'EM !
I have to confess to liking the ease they offer, not having to get out the high start. Also the electric gliders do get along with the power flyers well. I have started assembling an ARF Mefisto
by Reichard. Electric folding prop and ailerons along with elevator and rudder. 2m and a little lighter/ faster than the Radian. But also more fragile, the FG on this one is very well done but thin. I added some internal glass in the nose when I installed the firewall also along the opening under the hatch. One of the guys bonked his Mefisto just a bit and the glass compression fractured there. Radians of course would be little effected by the same bonk.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
aeajr

They just releases a 2M Radian Pro, ailerons and flaps.  Same power set-up.  34 ounces.  Looks like another winner!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
aeajr

We are about to start a group build over the winter.  We are in NY so some of our members don't fly over the winter.

The chosen model will be the Bird of Time kit sold by tower Hobbies.  
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...H=Bird+of+time

Then we will have a "One Design" contest in the spring.  This will be open to previously build BOT, the new builds and the BOT ARFs.

While our club has 3 winches, we are going to make this a hi-start launched contest in order to take away any advantage that anyone might have by making improvements made to the spar as compared to the earlier built kits or the ARF. 

You can read about it on our club forum here:
http://www.lisfsoar.proboards.com/in...lay&thread=103

So far we know of six who will be joining the build.  We have also opened this to surrounding clubs for any who are interested in joining the project or the One Design contest.

Should spark some great "show and tell" at the meetings, generate interest in buildling, and get a few more people into contest flying their gliders.

This is going to be fun!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

The Radian has been a real help to our local club. We now have a half dozen new glider pilots that were power plankers only. I'm thinking the new Radian Pro will win over more enthusiasum for gliders at our field.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

The Radian has been a real help to our local club. We now have a half dozen new glider pilots that were power plankers only. I'm thinking the new Radian Pro will win over more enthusiasum for gliders at our field.
I absolutely agree. Pilots who are flying $1000 molded ships are buying the Radians. So the new guys are even more encouraged that this is not a "starter" throw away plane but a real thermal glider. And the Pro will be an easy, safe step up.

Parkzone really understands their customer and has really done an outstaning job of delivering a quality product with the right features at the right price. Then the support it like crazy. This has been great for the soaring community.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
OzMo

Hi Ed,
Our SW Missouri club has had growth in the glider sector. We have an anuall "All Gliders Fun Fly" if it can thermal bring it. Last year we did rounds of 3-5 7 minute duration.
Also we try to do a weekly Tuesday glider sesion. between weather and "stuff" it worked out OK. Just recently a new member showed up with a Radian in his flock of gliders and that prompted at least one additional purchase of a Radian. I expect next season will see more. Electric gliders are becoming more prevalent.
We could really use a couple of decent slope sites here! Winter windy weather is here.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
aeajr

You would be surprised where you can find slope sites.  The use of an electric glider can make the hunt easier.  If you have a hill of some kind and the wind is blowing into it, put that Radian up over the hill and see if it can hold altitude.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Working on a GL to fly next spring since the Skimmer was so weak.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
OzMo

ORIGINAL: aeajr

You would be surprised where you can find slope sites. The use of an electric glider can make the hunt easier. If you have a hill of some kind and the wind is blowing into it, put that Radian up over the hill and see if it can hold altitude.

Hi Ed,
I know how much you like the Radian. Just his last week one of my main flying buds got one. He has had a real rough time with RC lately. An Intermittant radio went undetected for about five planes for him OUCH.
Any now a new 2.4 radio and a Radian for him has really changed his luck.
On the maiden flight right after getting the trims set well a hawk showed up. He was on it right away, well under it He got a good 15 minute ride. Had to use a bit of power to get back to the field do to higher winds aloft. Then he got a second thermal and I had to call him names!
The Radian does indeed signal lift quite well.