Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

cularis and thermaling

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: cularis and thermaling

ORIGINAL: roknhs

As reported above, the only bad habit is the tip stall. If you get it low and slow on final and try a turn, it will bite you in the ass..........guaranteed.
That's not a tip stall as much as the pilot letting the plane get too slow. This is not a light wing loaded airplane, say as compared to an Easy Glider. As such you MUST keep some speed or it will stall, especially in a turn. That is not a knock, it is a fact of any sailplane, especially if your is heaver than say 60 ounces.

There should be no reason to turn low and slow. You have flaps to slow you, so keep the speed up till you are on final, then bring down the flaps to slow you. If you want to use crow you can, but typically for thermal landings you don't need it. It is great for tight space slope landings.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
rcpilotny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cularis isn't really meant for low flying near ground and does have a hard time keeping speed up when power off. The reason people are saying it is tip stalling is because your altitude is too low, get it higher and you will see that you don't have to have a lot of airspeed to keep it going and make turns. You need to keep your airspeed up when you are close to the ground as airflow decreases near ground. IT"S TRUE COLORS COME OUT WHEN IT IS HIGH UP IT FLOATS VERY WELL. Generally low wing loading planes are mainly gliders/trainers with large wings and low wing loading means you don't need a lot of air speed flowing around the wing to keep it aloft.

TIP No reason to be scared to get some altitude on this plane as it loves it and can handle a decent amount of wind. If you are scared wings might lose connections to servos cut middle-top of fuse off
(there is no structural integrity in this part you cut away) and pop out the plugs (very carefully) label them and plug them in manually on top after you connect wings, this gurantees NO servos coming unplugged when flying in wind/hard landings. You can fly it like that or put plastic or tape to cover connections on top of fuse that you have just cut away. After that balance it on cg and send it into orbit and you will see NO tip stalls high up and i have actually been able to hover it for a minute or so above me up high again GET THIS ONE UP THERE, THEN THROW ON AIRBRAKES/FLAPS/CROW TO SEE SOME MAGIC HAPPEN
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
vh2q
My Feedback: (5)

I have lost mine twice when turning downwind .. a gust of wind from behind and she drops a wing and heads into the nearest treetop. Compared to my oldie "eclipse" that's really floaty (my only other point of reference for a glider), this Cularis flies like a brick. I can't imagine thermalling with this thing, you would need a tornado to get it to gain altitude and you have to keep it moving at 30km/h or so. I have mine loaded though, 3 batteries, FPV gear. Landings are easy if you come down from a decent height at 30 or 40 degrees, cut throttle, apply crow and you can basically put her down in a back yard. One shot, no low level maneuvering necessary.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Allen Key

I've just flown my Cularis for the first time on holiday last month. It was sitting in it's box for a number of years in the work shop looking very sad.

I make my finals turn in a gentle arch as I've been caught out a few times with its wing drop also, but then I'm a heavy handed nitro head

I can't get my prop to feather and fold when throttled right back, even with the trim right back. Any advice please?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

I can't get my prop to feather and fold when throttled right back, even with the trim right back. Any advice please?
You need to set the brake on your ESC which will stop the prop and it will fold.

The Cularis will actually thermal just fine in light lift, as long as the speed is kept up. It is not a floater and is much more capable than the average floater, it just has to be flown differently. It's like flying a pattern plane and complaining it doesn't fly like your old trainer.