Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Wing building tools - jigs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Bfan479
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing building tools - jigs

I'm going be building a 100" wing for the first time in many years. I don't have any building tools or jig. Can anyone give me any idea of what I may need to get? Years ago, I used light weight clamps and a piece of ceiling tile board to pin everything down. I'm sure there's many new building tools available these days! Thanks for your help!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
OLDNRINKLED
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Wing building tools - jigs

KEEP IT SIMPLE FRIEND, YOUR OLD METHODS ARE STILL THE BEST. GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN
Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

I'm a big fan of magnetic building boards. I've had the Great Planes set up for a few years. It has some limitations, but I've had good luck with it.

Here's a DIY magnetic system.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm

The website itself is also a good source of knowledge.

-Allan
Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Yup,
The old cieling tile is still a good option. As always be SURE the work suface is FLAT.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Roguedog

I wanted a larger building surface than the one ceiling tile would provide for a 132" Astroflight ASW-17 I plan to scratch build from the orginal plans. Home Depot has a 4 x 8 peice of sound proofing material that works perfect. It's about 1/2" thick, painted on one side, and I think it holds the t-pins better than ceiling tiles (IMHO). The great thing is that you can have a wing building table that's up to 96" if you want.

For mine I got a cheap drafting table from Office Depot, for my building table. Picked up a 4x8 piece of maleamine board, cut out a 2 x 6 ft piece to replace the 2 x 4 one on the drafting table. Than cut out a 2 x 6 piece of the sound proofing to lay on top. I can now build a wing up to 12' if I want.

Also RCM Magazines website has an article on an inexpensive wing jig you can make for under $30. It's free to download, if you want it.

The total cost for my build table with changes was about $90.

When you get going on your build, take lots of pictures and do a build thread here. Can't wait to see it.

later.