Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hobie Hawk on a winch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Christopher-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobie Hawk on a winch?

I cleaned up and installed new radio gear in my Hobie Hawk after letting it sit in my closet for 25 years. I have only slope soared it before, but I was wondering if I could set it up for winch-launch. I have been told that the "dutch roll" tendency makes it difficult to winch-launch a Hawk. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried it, and would welcome advice on positioning and monting a tow hook on the Hawk.

Chris
Old 05-10-2003, 01:33 AM
kingbee

I used to winch launch my Hobies all the time. It's fun to watch the wings flex

The only critical thing is to MAKE SURE IT'S AT FLYING SPEED WHEN IT LEAVES YOUR HAND! That means build up some tension, then give it a good heave. If you just release it it'll likely snap roll into the ground.

And don't be too heavy on the pedal.

I always just used the stock towhook position, worked fine.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-13-2003, 07:27 AM
CactusJackSlade

Default Another note...

What kingbee said PLUS:

Do not point the nose up more than about 10 degrees if at all.

Let it go level and let the plane pick up speed and it will clock upward a bit and give you a good launch.

One other thing, go a little easy on the winch if you are using the stock aluminum wing rod, if you are real heavy on the pedal you can bend it.

If you want a stiffer wing rod you can get titanium ot stainless steel wingrods here:

http://www.hobiehawk.com

Happy flying!

CJS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78144_8863.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	45942  
Old 05-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Frank Cox

Try using a hi-start first, then on to the winch.
If the Hobie is going to "dutch roll"
it will go to the left about 90% of the time vs 10% to the right. Makes for interesting launches, but most of the time you will get a good straight ahead launch.
Level launch, good toss.
Have someone launch it for you that has read this.
Stand right behind the launcher so you can
see if it goes off the the right or left. Be
quick on the rudder control. Do not give it
up elevator with the control stick, instead use
the trim tab. Have the Hobie balanced as per the instructions. All of the above from many launches.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:17 PM
eissman

I used to fly my hobie at contests when i broke my contest plane. Just launch it level or very slightly nose up with good tension. I did move the hook back from stock to get a better launch, about 1/2", but this makes the launch attitude and tension at release critical. I never babied it on tow, it's strong. If it starts dutch rolling, back off a little. The wing rod can be straightened if you get carried away.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Frank Cox

Eissman;
Are you still flying Hobie Hawks?
If so check out
http://www.hobiehawkinfo.com
Best, Frank
Old 06-28-2003, 02:15 PM
KJohn

outbound I sure like the looks of the Hobie Hawk with those absolutely beautiful wings. Thanks for that picture.

Also, I would warn anyone launching a plane on a winch to make sure they are comfortable and experienced using a winch before they launch. I have seen people without experience see their plane begin to swerve (any design) and they concentrate on the plane so much that they forget to 'get off' of the winch pedal. The result is a problem that gets worse and never gets better until someone physically pushes them OFF the winch pedal, unplugs the winch pedal or disengages the power to the winch. Again, this was true with ANY plane. Experience using a winch is always a good thing.

Oh man ... I just visited
http://www.hobiehawkinfo.com

Thanks Frank!