Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
electric assisted thermal
19.05%
hotliners
0%
sport slope
21.43%
racing slope
0%
aerobatics slope
2.38%
F3B or F3J
2.38%
scale
11.90%
sport thermal
40.48%
DLG''s or HLG''s
0%
Helis
0%
F5D
2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

what flying do you prefer

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 AM
VARMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what flying do you prefer

let's find out what you like
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: what flying do you prefer

Greeat idea with some versatility. See how far this one goes.............
Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Not fair! The best I can do for a slope in Florida is a big sand dune!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:41 PM
VARMS

let's give something for the heli guys
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummmm.... 1 choice? My choice would be F5D based high speed aircraft...
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
VARMS

evan-RCU there you go, just a note to everyone else please tell me like evan-RCU and BarracudaHockey and i will add one for you.
thanks guys
Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
evan-RCU

Thanks! I know this is in the glider section but a short story.... I go out with my F5D and even my speed 400 racers and hotliners and people that haven't ever seen them fly say something about oh another glider... they are shocked when they leave my hand and scream away at up to 200mph.... They never call them gliders again....
Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 AM
VARMS

evan-RCU i have seen some hotliners and they crunch the air into dust and i call them pylon racers and NOT electric gliders so i must agree with ya mate
Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
SoarLA45

Slope Racing, Slope aerobatics and general slopes! We have lots of slopes down here in peru so we never get bored....
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 PM
VARMS

Alex.schweig
if i had that many slopes i wouldn't be dreaming
Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 PM
VARMS

seems like not many slope popes but keep up the votes
Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 PM
elmog

One advantage of flying slope is that you can get a lot of stick time in and become a better pilot. You can fly for hours on the slope (I usually do!) and practice aerobatics, search for thermals or even enjoy a little combat session with a willing pilot. Nothing against the guys who belong to clubs that allow gas planes and such, but I watch them fiddle with their engines for at least half an hour and then fly for 15 minutes total. They might make 3 or 4 flights for a total of 1 hour flying time. I guess they really enjoy the sound of those engines or they wouldn't put up with all that fuss. I guess I'm going to catch heck for this post....
Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
evan-RCU

Why are you going to catch heck? It's your opinion...
Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 PM
VARMS

elmog sorry i am not trying to be offensive, that's just my oppinion and i didn't mean any harm just remember i fly slopers thermal soarers electric soarers, electrics, powerplanes, helis, and abit of free flight and round here i'm one of the only slopies so i just don't see many and i am verry sorry if i have upset or offended anyone.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
elmog

elmog sorry i am not trying to be offensive, that's just my oppinion and i didn't mean any harm just remember i fly slopers thermal soarers electric soarers, electrics, powerplanes, helis, and abit of free flight and round here i'm one of the only slopies so i just don't see many and i am verry sorry if i have upset or offended anyone.

No offense taken. It's just that I have a limited amount of time to fly each week and would prefer to spend it flying rather than fiddling with temperamental machinery. Sloping allows me to do just that. The wind is usually pretty consistent at the places I fly and am rarely shut out for lack of lift. If the lift is light I will fly something with a really light wing-loading and still have fun. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

P.S.- Lot's of guys enjoy tinkering with engines and such and for them that is their source of fun/relaxation. To each his own!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:32 PM
SoarLA45

I agree with Elmog...
Flying is about relaxing and finding something that either makes you feel proud or gets the adrenaline running. Each person has their own kind of flying...
I fly slope because of a few reasons... Firstly, because a slope is the first place I ever saw an RC plane. I like smooth flight but speed is great. I soon found out that slope flying is very different to thermal soaring because slopers can take advantage of strong lift and wind speed and use these to gather speed or perform aerobatics.
I know that some people like 3D flight or power flight and will spend hours charging batteries and fiddling with their engines.
Me? I would get bored. My idea of flying is to go to my slope at 3 PM and fly nonstop until 7 or 7:30 PM.
Sloping really helps gain experience because in a single afternoon you can fly up to 5 hours.. I know people that spent 5 or 6 hours flying slope on their fist day and were already looping and rolling the next day!
I appreciate all opinions, but I think it is better to fly for a long time than charge batteries for an hour only to be able to fly 15 minutes or prep your gasser so you can fly 3D for ten minutes..

For everyone: RC is only about having fun and not fighting because of differences in opinions and preferences...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
VARMS

thanks guys for accepting my apology and just a question i know it's off topic but is there a thread with a lesson on how to make a hot wire foam cutter that i can use for a DIY zagi i had ideas about or even can you tell me about yours if you have one. keep in mind we don't have walmart i australia.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM
SoarLA45

I have used a hand saw frame, the ones that look like a long upside down u and replaced the saw blade with a nicron wire and 12v battery. Insulated handgrips.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
VARMS

and where can i buy EPP, still keeping in mind we don't have walmart in aus
Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
SoarLA45

At stores where supplies for university architecture are sold. Students often buy balsa and epp for builing models and an RCer can take advantage of this. EPP is real cheap and balsa is good but a little soft.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What are Helis doing on that list?

Looks like about 60% of us are thermal pilots if you combine sport thermal, electric thermal and F3J, which is a specialized form of thermal soaring. I have heard of F3B but don't know anything about it.

I did not see a spot for TD competition but that is OK. If you dropped the word sport, then that would be included. I enjoy TD competitoin but I don't fly F3J or F3B.

I would do the topics a little differently.

Electric thermal
Pure thermal
DLG Thermal
Electric slope
Pure slope
F3X
Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
SoarLA45

F3X includes all F categories, right?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Alex.schweig

F3X includes all F categories, right?
In my interpertation it would. It identifies you as a focused competition flyer in one of these classes. Of course, for example, if you are an F3J pilot, you would also fit the Thermal Duration as well since you probably don't fly F3J competition tasks all the time. Or you may enjoy F3J and american style TD. So you would want to fill in both, but you can't so you pick.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:53 AM
VARMS

because i consider you to be a F3J or F3B pilot if you have a model worth more than $3,000 or does that just meen you got tripped or walked accros the hobby to obsession line, i don't know i suppose im'e a small head in a big world full of other kind aeromodelers.
SLOW DOWN WORLD I WANNA GET OFF
thanks guys
Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: VARMS

because i consider you to be a F3J or F3B pilot if you have a model worth more than $3,000 or does that just meen you got tripped or walked accros the hobby to obsession line, i don't know i suppose im'e a small head in a big world full of other kind aeromodelers.
SLOW DOWN WORLD I WANNA GET OFF
thanks guys
More then $3000? Wow! I don't think I even know of a commercially produced sailplane that costs over $3000. Even if I took a top of the line Pike and stuffed it with digitals I don't think I could get it up to $3000.

I fly a Supra, an AVA and a Thermal Dancer. Guess that puts me in the budget class.

Edit: I did not take into account scale gliders, some of which would exceed $3000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.