Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Jade Shogun/slope soarer questions

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Jade Shogun/slope soarer questions

Old 05-14-2003, 04:34 PM
HighGs
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jade Shogun/slope soarer questions

I've got a couple of questions.

1. I would like to know what kind of conditions (landscape/wind/etc) are required for slope soaring. I know that having some sort of slope would be helpful, but I live in Kansas and the area I live in is not exactly "hilly"! It is usually pretty windy though. Usually anywhere from 15-25+mph wind at least 3 times a week.

2. Does anyone know anything about a slope soarer named "Shogun" made by Jade? It looks like a "stealthy" jet. Has elevator and aileron control only. I spoke with someone about three years ago about possibly converting it to some sort of electric power but I never followed through about it. Just wanted to know if anyone had done anything like that with this kit.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
TFLG

The terrain and conditions needed will depend on the plane you want to fly. You will want a decent size slope. The shallower the slope is the higher (longer) it must be to generate decent lift. You are looking for STEEP. The steeper the better as slopes of less than say 30 degrees do not generate much lift. Bowl shaped slopes are better than straight. A convex face on the slope is the worst and will usually generate poor lift. Look for a long straight ridge as steep as possible. 30-45 degrees steep and at least 100' high is good enough for most gliders if you get a 15+ mph wind.

The wind speed required will depend on the hill and what type of plane your flying. If your new to slope flying get something light and durable. It's hard to go wrong with a EPP flying wing type plane as a first shot.

The shogun was a rather unimpressive flyer from the mid-80s. It was a little heavy due to the plastic fuse and not all too stable in yaw. It makes a nice conversation piece.

TFLG
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 AM
HighGs
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if there is any kind of landscape around here that is like you described, but at least I know what to look for.

Thanks!
HighGs
Old 05-21-2003, 06:22 AM
bjaffee

Dunno how far it is from you, but there's a resevoir in Kansas called Wilson Lake where a lot of slope flying goes on...

http://home.alltel.net/mwsc/